Whyte’s, founded in 1783, are today Ireland’s premier specialist art and collectibles auction house. They hold six to eight sales per year, featuring a wide range of Irish art and collectibles, primarily from private collections and estates.
Whyte’s major art sales are conducted at the Royal Dublin Society’s Clyde Rooms, while their other sales (including History, Literature and Collectibles auctions) are held at their Molesworth St. premises and the historic Freemasons Hall. The Molesworth St. terrace that houses Whyte’s galleries is the last remaining intact terrace of Georgian shopfronts in Dublin, completed 1831.
Whyte’s combines their 200-year history of business in Dublin with an enthusiasm for modern technologies, offering both the advantages of a traditional auction house and the convenience of live web bidding.
Silver coin collection. Includes Spain Ferdinand VII eight reales, 1814, USA dollars 1878-1926 (13), 1964v JFK half dollars (4), GB crowns of 1889, 1890, 1935 and 1937, double florin of 1890, also some halfcrowns and florins, QEII Canadian dollars, etc., generally fine to uncirculated. (32).Read more
- Low estimate
- Show bid210 GBP
1975, Erskine Childers, Irish silver commemorative plate. A commemorative silver plate, the central reserve with intaglio portrait of Erskine Hamilton Childers, President of Ireland 1973-1974, limited edition, numbered 63/1000, in original presentation box; hallmarks for Dublin, 1975, by Royal Irish Ltd., 550g, 16oz troy. (1) Diameter h:11 in.Read more
- Low estimate
- Show bid150 GBP
Heaney, Seamus. Sweeney Astray and An Open Letter, first editions. 1983, Derry, Field Day, first edition, 8vo, grey cloth, illustrated front cover, dust jacket, boxed in custom-made slip-case with title etc, in gilt on spine; together with Sweeny Astray, 1983, Derry, Field Day, first paperback edition; and An Open Letter, 1983, Derry, Field Day, first edition. Card covers with fold-over. (3) Other Notes: BOOKSRead more
Currency Commission Consolidated Banknote 'Ploughman' National Bank Ten Pounds 2-10-31 01NT032597. Signed Russell, pressed, some edge tears with some neatly glued, '900' written on back, very good. Other Notes: BANKNOTESRead more
- Low estimate
- Show bid840 GBP
1960s Irish International Airlines - Aer Lingus, Switzerland travel poster. Aer Lingus advertisement poster showing chalets in a lake and mountain landscape. Screen printed by The Ormond Printing Co. h:40 w:26 in.Read more
1894-1922 Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway, Bye-Laws and Regulations Posters. Three one-colour letterpress printed posters covering The Explosives Act, 1875; Bye-Laws and Regulations, 1905; and Table of offences and Penalties, 1922. (3) h:26.50 w:18 in.Read more
Collection of railway ephemera. A photograph, c.1910, of Listowel and Ballybunion Railway, showing a locomotive with driver and six carriages; together with various ephemera relating to the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway; Great Northern Railway; Midland Great Western Railway and CIE. (9)Read more
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. British Quad poster. 1960s Re-release. Adventure. Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas. A ship sent to investigate a wave of mysterious sinkings encounters the advanced submarine, the Nautilus, commanded by Captain Nemo. h:30 w:40 in.Read more
Cusack, Mary Frances. A History of the Kingdom of Kerry Longmans, Green & Co, London, 1871, first edition, subscriber's copy printed for D. Stuart Trench Esq., Cardtown, Mountrath, 8vo, 453 pp with coloured map, several appendices, half green calf gilt. Other Notes: BOOKSRead more
- Low estimate
- Show bid250 GBP
Blog posts about "Whyte's"
- How the Butler Yeats family became part of the fabric of 20th century Ireland
- During the 20th century, the Butler Yeats family made an incredible impact on the political, literary and art fabric of Ireland. In 1841, William Butler Yeats married Susan Pollexfen. The couple had six children William Butler Yeats; Susan Mary "Lily" Yeats; Elizabeth Corbett "Lolly" Yeats; Robert Corbet Yeats; John "Jack" Butler Yeats; and Jane Grace Yeats.
- Moments that made history: The Easter Rising and The Good Friday agreement
- On 21st January, Whyte's Eclectic Collector sale features historical items from two significant periods of The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland's history.
- The Society of Dublin Painters and the beginnings of Irish modernism
- Born in Belfast, Paul Henry holds his place in the artistic canon as one of Ireland's most important 20th century artists. His depictions of the west of Ireland are an important part of Irish art history.
- Artist Spotlight: Harry Kernoff
- Harry Kernoff, was a leading figure in Irish Modernism and is best remembered for capturing the people of Dublin with a sympathetic paintbrush.
- Irish art could fetch £1 million at auction this month
- Works by Paul Henry, Jack B. Yeats, Gerard Dillon as well as contemporary Irish artists Barrie Cooke, Donald Teske and Tony O’Malley are expected to reach a combined total of €1.2 million (£910 000) at Whyte's this month.
Realised prices "Whyte's "
- Constance Gore-Booth, Countess Markievicz (1868-1927) ANNIESLAND, 1923
- Constance Gore-Booth, Countess Markievicz (1868-1927) ANNIESLAND, 1923 gouache on card signed, dated and with location lower left h:10 w:14 in. Whyte's
- Louis le Brocquy HRHA (1916-2012) THE TÁIN. ARMY MASSING, 1969
- Louis le Brocquy HRHA (1916-2012) THE TÁIN. ARMY MASSING, 1969 lithographic brush drawing; (no. 53 from an edition of 70) signed, numbered and dated lower right h:14.75 w:21.25 in. Provenance: Whyte's, 30 April 2007, ex lot 52; Private collection Printed in Dublin in 1969 by Frank O'Reilly in an edition of 70 plus one artist's proof. The present example is no. 24 in the series. Whyte's
- Currency Commission Consolidated Banknote 'Ploughman' Bank of Ireland One Pound collection 1935-39 (3)
- Currency Commission Consolidated Banknote 'Ploughman' Bank of Ireland One Pound collection 1935-39 5-12-35, 29-5-36, 10-1-39, good fine. (3) Whyte's
- Cumann na nGaedheal Election Poster
- Cumann na nGaedheal Election Poster "Fianna Fail - Has Failed - De Valera said at Athlone, May 30th - 'Those who took the oath not meaning to keep it - are nothing lrss than perjurers' - Dont give the perjurers - a chance to perjure - themselves again - Vote - Cumann na nGaedheal - Government Party". Printer Woods & Fleming's Paper Mills Ltd., High Street, Dublin. h:30 w:20 in. Whyte's
- Markey Robinson (1918-1999)
- STILL LIFE WITH FRUIT AND FLOWERS BY A WINDOW; gouache and acrylic on card; signed lower left Whyte's
- Whyte's has 765 objects in the categories.
Find address and telephone number to Whyte's