RM Sotheby’s (formerly RM Auctions) is the largest auction house in the world specialising in collector cars. As market leaders, since their foundation in 1976 they have transformed the global market for automobile auctions, raising their status to premium events to compare with auctions of fine art. In February 2015, RM Auctions formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s to become RM Sotheby’s.
They host auctions across North America and Europe, attracting buyers and sellers from around the world, representing over 60 countries. The locations of their American auctions span the United States and include Monterey, California; Hershey, Pennsylvania; Phoenix, Arizona; Detroit, Michigan; and Amelia Island, Florida. Since 2007, RM Sotheby’s has held sales in Europe, in locations ranging from London to Maranello. Their European calendar now includes auctions in Monaco during the weekend of the Grand Prix de Monaco, and at Retromobile week, Paris.
RM Sotheby’s employs the world’s largest team of dedicated car specialists, who combine over 530 years of experience in buying, selling, racing, and restoring prestige automobiles. RM holds four of the top ten all-time records for the most valuable motor cars to be sold at auction.
Objects "RM Sotheby's"
270 hp, 283 cu. in. OHV V-8 engine with dual Carter four-barrel carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with unequal-length upper and lower A-arms, coil springs, and an anti-roll bar; live rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs and trailing radius rods; and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 102 in. Desirable “twin carb” engine and numerous original optionsIconic color combinationA powerhouse Corvette to drive and enjoy By the early 1960s, the Corvette was a common sight on main streets and highways throughout America, but that did nothing to diminish the car’s appeal. It was still widely adored by almost everyone, and parking a Corvette in your garage was a dream for many hard-working Americans. It was as much a symbol of success as it was a symbol of American design and engineering. Not only was it a desirable street machine, but the Corvette was also earning victories on race tracks both at home and abroad. In short, the ’Vette was finally coming into its own. In terms of the first generation of Corvettes, 1961 saw a handful of important changes, with the most noticeable being the cars’ refreshed rear-end styling. It was much more angular than previous years, incorporating four taillights, and it was a design that would carry through to the second generation in 1963. The exhaust was relocated under the bumper rather than being integrated within it. The interior remained similar to Corvettes of years past, but the transmission tunnel was narrowed by 20 percent in an effort to provide more interior room. Not only would this be the final year for the Corvette’s now signature 283-cubic inch V-8 engine, but it would also be the last year for two-tone color combinations, which was a look that had come to define “America’s Sports Car” in years past. The Corvette offered here was acquired by Stephanie Smith several years ago and has been one of her favorite automobiles in the collection since, memorably registered in Florida as “HIWAY 66.” Finished in Roman Red with white “coves,” a red vinyl interior, and a white soft top, it is equipped with the potent 270-horsepower 283 V-8 with dual Carter four-barrel carburetors and a 4-speed transmission, as well as a driver’s side mirror, Wonderbar radio with rear antenna, original “spinner” wheel covers, and seatbelts. The tires are Coker Classic whitewalls, of the same width as original, for a very authentic appearance. The engine compartment and under the hood show regular driving enjoyment, appropriate to the 47,015 miles recorded at the time of cataloguing. Ideal for exploring Route 66 or any other romantic highway of one’s choice, this Corvette has undoubtedly miles of summer fun ahead of it in life – just like its new owner!Read more
400 hp, 4,941 cc DOHC 32-valve V-8 engine, six-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, MacPherson struts, anti-roll bar, and telescopic dampers; independent rear suspension with coil springs, multi-ling location, anti-roll bar, and telescopic dampers; and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes with ABS. Wheelbase: 98.5 in. Only 3,798 actual milesPart of the Smith Collection since 2003Complete with factory hardtopExcellent overall condition and presentation Similar to the legendary 507, the BMW Z8 not only served as a “halo” car for the entire BMW lineup, but also as a test bed for new engineering techniques, including advanced welded and extruded aluminum space-frame chassis construction. Under the hood was BMW’s silky-smooth and powerful 400-horsepower, 4.9-litre V-8, as used in the 5- and 7-Series models, with a Getrag six-speed transmission borrowed from the M5. Henrik Fisker, then heading up BMW’s Designworks studio in California, supplied the timeless exterior styling, featuring the requisite homage to the 507 with its distinctive grated side strakes, wrapped around an understructure built at Dingolfing, with final assembly in Munich. Just 5,703 Z8s were built, one of which famously took a role as the “Bond car” in The World Is Not Enough. Others are beloved by enthusiasts worldwide, who have come to consider the Z8 one of the most significant modern BMW models, and as the true successor to the vaunted 507. The Red over Crema car offered here was, according to its clean CARFAX Vehicle History Report, exported to New Jersey from France in 2001, replete with its rare, optional handcrafted hardtop, and was first registered in the United States two years later. Shortly thereafter, on 31 March 2003, it was acquired by Orin Smith, and has remained in his distinguished collection now for over a decade. As of that April, the car had recorded 1,846 actual miles, a figure that has been scarcely added to over the years; at the time of cataloguing, the car had recorded 3,798 miles. Accordingly, its paintwork remains in excellent condition, with nary a chip or scratch, even on the low-slung sections of the road-hugging bodywork, and the interior is tight and fresh. Similarly, the aluminum wheels are clean and free of curb rash. Paperwork on file indicates replacement of the rear view mirror and repair of the soft top in 2009, with invoices from Braman Motorcars on file. It has enjoyed consistent excellent care from the Smith Collection’s full-time mechanic and is described as being “on the button.” The car is complete with the fitted windbreaker that mounts behind the headrests, the aforementioned factory fitted hardtop, and the original owner’s guide, as well as the complete original BMW CPT 8000 TDMA digital phone set, still unused and in its box. Every sports car collection demands a fine Z8, and this one, fresh from long-term ownership in a renowned stable, would be an ideal choice.Read more
550 bhp, 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged 32-valve V-8 engine, six-speed manual transmission, front and rear independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 106.7 in. The incredible modern successor to the GT40Immaculate condition; 2,453 actual milesAll four factory optionsOriginal manuals in folio and fitted car coverClean CARFAX report available for review To celebrate the 100th anniversary of Ford Motor Company, a successor to the glorious Ford GT40 of the 1960s was unveiled in 2003. The GT’s design was a modern homage to the car that had achieved four consecutive Le Mans victories, between 1966 and 1969, and shared virtually every crease and line with the original GT40. However, under the retro bodywork was a fully modern drivetrain, with an all-aluminum 5.4-litre Modular V-8 with 32-valve cylinder heads, a new camshaft, and a Lysholm twin-screw supercharger providing a maximum 11.7 psi of boost, good for 550 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque. Four-piston aluminum Brembo calipers with cross-drilled and ventilated rotors on all four wheels made sure to bring the vehicle to an abrupt stop from any speed. In keeping with the GT’s legacy of besting Ferrari, America’s new supercar was just that. Its top speed of 205 mph and 0–60 mph time of 3.3 seconds put it in closer competition to the Porsche Carrera GT and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren than the intended benchmark, the Ferrari 360. It really was a Ford that could run against Europe’s best, and win – handily. The 2005 model offered here, from the distinguished collection of Orin Smith, is finished in the iconic color of Mark IV Red and has all four available factory options: dual racing stripes (white), forged aluminum GT wheels, painted (red) brake calipers, and the McIntosh stereo – the ultimate configuration. Sold new in Petaluma, California, it remained in that state until 2009, and was then acquired for the Smith Collection in April of that year, at which time it had only 2,100 actual miles. It currently has 2,453 miles, reflecting its limited use and careful enjoyment, as does its immaculate, “like new” condition and presentation throughout. The original manuals in their folio are still with the car, as is the factory car cover in its original bag. An excellent GT to either continue to preserve, or to drive and enjoy, this car has benefited from fresh maintenance and just fitted with a fresh set of tires. As such, it would be a superb addition to any modern supercar or performance-oriented collection.Read more
Body Style SC15VL. Est. 178 bhp, 4,887 cc F-head inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed automatic transmission, unequal-length wishbone and coil-spring front suspension, solid rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs, and hydraulic front and mechanical servo-assisted rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 123 in. One of two such examples built, both on factory left-hand-drive chassisExceptionally well-balanced, fully custom aluminum coachworkFormerly part of the Anthony Preston collectionThe discerning connoisseur’s alternative to the more common “adaptations” Drophead coupes remained extremely popular on the Silver Cloud chassis, usually crafted by H.J. Mulliner. The initial offering was style number 7410, an aluminum-skinned design that was a fully custom body, created from the ground up, with no two being exactly alike. Cost and efficiency reasons led to the replacement of this attractive design, late in production of the Silver Cloud I, with the so-called “Drophead Coupe Adaptation,” modified from factory saloon body panels. Nonetheless, as the trend moved away from true custom coachwork to reworked factory bodies, one could still acquire a Silver Cloud I drophead whose body had been handmade, from the wooden frame up, by skilled artisans in the traditional manner. James Young of Bromley, Kent, noted for the subtle elegance and exceptionally high quality of their work, offered their design number SC15VL, a four-passenger drophead coupe with a neatly folding convertible top and modern smooth slab sides, with only a subtle “kick” over the rear wheels. This design was considerably more expensive than an “adaptation” and, thus, considerably more rare. Just two were produced, both with aluminum coachwork on factory left-hand-drive chassis. Chassis number LSHF169, offered here, was originally delivered on 22 May 1959, to Alfred Hart of Bel Air, California, equipped with power top, radio antenna, and (unique among the two cars) power windows. A colorful local socialite, Mr. Hart began his career in Chicago during Prohibition, wholesaling liquor for one Al Capone. He later relocated to California, where he continued in the distillery business while also establishing the City National Bank of Beverly Hills, investing in local real estate, buying the Del Mar racetrack, and investing in the original Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. When Frank Sinatra Jr. was kidnapped in 1963, it was Mr. Hart who arranged the $240,000 ransom. The car was subsequently acquired by Anthony Preston, a well-known Rolls-Royce collector from New York, famous for his long-term ownership of one of the Phantom II Henley Roadsters. It passed in 1975 to Charles Patterson of Pittsburgh, in 1978 to Robert Martin of Houston, Texas, and in 2003 to Dr. John Livesay, who never registered it in his name. In 2007 the Silver Cloud was acquired for another well-known collection. In his ownership the car was cosmetically refinished in Oxford Blue with a Saddle Tan top and matching hides, as presented today, with a correct tinted windshield (as original), refinished brightwork, and Vantage Motorworks’ upgraded factory-style air conditioning. Since joining Orin Smith’s collection, its fifth registered home from new, the car has been well maintained and occasionally driven, to his usual high standards, and still presents in the same fine condition as when it was acquired. It shows only light chassis wear from its occasional street use, with the paint and interior remaining superb, including remarkable traditional James Young wood veneers capping the doors and dashboard, the original radio, and correct vanity compartments and hand tools. The car had ticked over fewer than 52,000 miles at the time of cataloguing, a figure believed to be original. With the other James Young drophead coupe remaining in its long-term American home for the foreseeable future, this is the opportunity to acquire the sole other example built – the chance of a lifetime for the collector for whom mere rarity is not enough.Read more
215 bhp (DIN), 240 bhp (SAE), 2,992 cc SOHC inline six-cylinder engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injection, four-speed manual transmission, coil-spring independent front suspension, coil-spring and swing-axle rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 94.5 in. The third from last 300 SL Gullwing built; one of only 73 produced in 1957Known history from new with only five long-term caretakersWonderful originality and authenticity throughout; original engineLong-term maintenance for previous owners by the noted Paul Russell & CompanyComplete with manuals and original toolsAn extremely satisfying Gullwing for the enthusiast driver THE MENNEN GULLWING To those who know Mercedes-Benz serial numbers, 198.040.7500077 is instantly identifiable as something truly special. It is a 300 SL Gullwing, of course, but more unusually, it is a 1957 Gullwing, one of just 73 built, very early in that year, before production moved to the new 300 SL roadster. No. 7500074 was only three chassis before the final Gullwing built, and delivery was made on 7 May 1957, making it one of the final 300 SL coupes delivered to a customer. Outside of the famous “alloys,” the 1957s are the last of the legendary breed, the rarest of all Gullwings, and among the most difficult to acquire today. The original Daimler-Benz data card for this car, a copy of which is on file, notes that it was built with engine number 198.980.7500072, that which is still installed today; both the chassis and engine number stampings are present in their expected locations and appear original and authentic. The car was finished in Fire Engine Red with Black leather interior, and it was optioned for the United States with sealed-beam headlights and turn signals, English instruments, Becker Mexico radio with automatic antenna, and a rear-view mirror. The car was shipped stateside from Hamburg to original owner George Mennen of Montclair, New Jersey, a prominent Garden State philanthropist and aviator, and the last family chairman of the Mennen Company (manufacturers of men’s toiletries). Joseph M. Stoytak of Springfield, Massachusetts, acquired the car from Mr. Mennen in 1978 and retained it for 30 years, then passed it to David Zagaroli of Hickory, North Carolina, via the well-known specialists Paul Russell & Company, which had cared for the car since Mr. Stoyak’s acquisition. Following brief ownership in New York, the car was acquired by Orin Smith in 2010 and has remained well looked-after in his studious ownership ever since. The Gullwing received major services by Tamburr Motorcars of Melbourne, Florida, later that year, including rebuilding the brakes and rear axle. Overall the car retains a wonderfully solid and, to use a clichéd but appropriate term, honest appearance, with no suggestion of undue molestation or hasty repairs to be found anywhere; underneath is clean and solid. Repainted correctly some years ago, it has a good patina, with the correct, more recent leather interior being carefully worn-in and as comfortable and well-fitted as an old baseball glove. The steering wheel exhibits minor cracking but is very presentable and in character with the remainder of the interior. The finishes underhood appear original and well-maintained, and Sekurit glass is still present in all the windows, although the original belly pans are no longer present, as is commonplace. Accompanying the Gullwing are an original owner’s manual, a reprint of the factory instruction manual in English, a proper jack and wheel tool, the pair of original and complete tool rolls, and a correct spare. Many 300 SL Gullwings were driven hard, as their manufacturer intended, necessitating today’s world of fully restored examples of widely varying quality. This car is different; a lovely and sympathetically maintained, carefully curated original, which has been improved only as needed, and retains all the charm and originality of its past. For the enthusiast seeking a 300 SL to drive, there is simply no better or more authentic choice.Read more
485 bhp, 5,474 cc SOHC V-12 engine with Bosch Motronic fuel injection, six-speed manual transmission, front and rear independent suspension with unequal-length A-arms and coil springs, and four-wheel Brembo ventilated disc brakes with ABS. Wheelbase: 98.5 in. Special ordered in Nero with Beige power-operated Daytona seatsJust 1,672 miles from newFull belt and fluid service in January 2017One of the finest and most compelling 550 Barchettas Following the success of the all-new 550 Maranello in 1996, it was only natural that Ferrari introduce a limited-edition convertible variant, produced in the spirit of the 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spider of the 1970s. Unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in 2000, the 550 Barchetta Pininfarina (in deference to Ferrari’s long-time coachbuilder) brought the long-gone front-engined V-12 convertible grand tourer back to its lineup. A handful of differences were instantly discernable from the coupe, as the Barchetta boasted a more aggressively raked windshield, three-piece alloy wheels, an aluminum fuel-filler door, and a re-styled rear deck that actually offered more trunk space than the coupe. This was a true roadster, its top only suitable for low-speed use when caught in surprise inclement weather, Ferrari’s own way of enticing its clients to have fun in the sun. Only 448 550 Barchettas were built, and since their initial release, they have been considered to be a true modern day collectible and a must-have for any Ferrari collection, not only for their low production and collectability, but also for their wonderful driving dynamics and the sense of theater that the Barchetta body style offers to both driver and passenger. Built as a U.S.-specification example, rather than being ordered by a standard Ferrari client, this 550 Barchetta was sold new to the owner of Scottsdale Ferrari to be used as his personal car. As he was obviously an individual with intimate knowledge of Ferrari and the opportunities available for customization, the car was special ordered in Nero over a beige interior and was outfitted with power Daytona seats and matching black Daytona inserts, rather than the traditional bucket seats found in most 550 Barchettas. Furthermore, the car is fitted with brake calipers in aluminum, black piping on the seats with black stitching, and black rollbars. The car remained with the owner of the dealership as his personal car for 18 months before it was sold to the first private owner, who retained ownership until very recently. Today the car is presented in immaculate condition, as one would expect for having only been driven just 1,672 miles from new. It is accompanied by an as-new, five-piece set of black 550 Barchetta luggage that has never been opened, along with the original window sticker, Bill of Sale, its original manuals, original and unused tools, as well as three sets of remotes and keys. Finally, it received a belt and fluid serviced by a Ferrari specialist in January of 2017. Built purely for the sake of driving enjoyment and to help bring Ferrari back to its roots, the 550 Barchetta remains one of the most celebrated Ferraris of the 21st century. The inherent value of this particular Barchetta can be found in its highly unique specification and immaculate overall condition. It boasts a fascinating story and would be the ideal 550 Barchetta to add to a stable of significant Ferraris.Read more
125 bhp, 298.6 cu. in. L-head inline eight-cylinder engine, three-speed front-drive manual transmission, live front axle with dual quarter-elliptical leaf springs, tubular beam rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 137.5 in. One of the most desirable American Classics; a landmark in engineering and designLong and well-known ownership historyFresh, comprehensive ground-up restorationClassic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic At its debut, the Cord Front-Drive (L-29) was the first major American production car with front-wheel drive. The lack of a driveshaft tunnel allowed for the bodies to be mounted low on the frame, with the result being that the Cord was no taller than a person of average height. Their interiors boasted flat floors, allowing for comfortable, spacious seating. Sadly, the L-29 had the bad luck to have been born at the worst possible moment. It was offered to market just as the Great Depression’s crushing weight came down on the automobile industry, and production of the car faded away in late 1931. The cabriolet offered here, an example of the most popular and desirable L-29 body style, has had its history traced back to 1946, when it was purchased for $750 by a Mr. Huffey of Cincinnati, Ohio. Following several intervening short-term owners, it was purchased in 1953 by Jerry Fisher of Piqua, Ohio, largely complete, less its top and several small items. Hubert Wood of South Charleston, Ohio, performed an amateur restoration in 1969. A new owner acquired the car in 1980 and proceeded to drive it to his private museum in the American West, where it remained until 2013. In its current European ownership, the Cord has been comprehensively restored by Packard and Classic Cars of Bremen, Germany. The owner notes that it was completely disassembled, with the frame sandblasted and powder-coated, springs and axles disassembled, sandblasted, and painted. A full engine rebuild included new Babbit bearings, pistons, rings, and shell bearings, a new camshaft, the crankshaft polished and balanced, and the block bored and honed and heads planed. The cooling system, water pump, generator, and starter were rebuilt, with a new radiator. The transmission was checked and cleaned, and new clutch and pressure plate installed. Front ball joints were custom-made and hardened to original specifications. The sheet metal, fenders, and running boards were all properly finished, with new inner woodwork, and paintwork with four layers of clear coat on every painted surface. The brightwork was re-plated to show standards. The dashboard was completely disassembled and rebuilt. Complete new wiring harnesses were made and installed. The wheels were restored and repainted in black, including four layers of clear coat. A new leather interior was fabricated to original patterns and piped in dark red, including rumble seat. New top bows were made and a new canvas top with red stitching were fitted. New rubber parts were sourced from the United States, while some parts had to be custom made. The car is accompanied by its unrestored original luggage rack. Still equipped with its original serial number and body tags, this car retains its original chassis, engine, and cabriolet body, just as it was delivered in 1931, and benefits from a fresh and comprehensive restoration with the show field in mind. It awaits a new caretaker who will enjoy it just as it has been enjoyed for over 85 years!Read more
120 bhp, 7,688 cu. in. OHV inline six-cylinder engine with single-jet semi-expanding carburetor, four-speed manual transmission, front and rear semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel servo-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 144 in. The most famous Phantom II ContinentalFormerly the prized possession of Continental authority Raymond GentileOne of just 18 original examples built in this most desirable styleFeatured in numerous books and periodicals; the basis for the famous Revell model kitA true enthusiast’s restoration, still exceptional in its detailing and authenticity When it comes to learning about a car, nothing beats taking its every nut and bolt apart yourself, and painstakingly rebuilding it back to its original condition. Such was the experience of Rolls-Royce Owners Club member, Raymond Gentile, as he began work on his Phantom II Continental in the late 1960s. Chassis number 210RY had begun life in 1933, as one of 18 Phantom II Continentals produced with Chelsea coachbuilder J. Gurney Nutting’s “Owen” drophead sedanca coupe body, carrying the name of the London dealer who purportedly was involved in its creation. The lines of this body were beyond compare, including an extremely long hoodline, a sweeping curved beltline molding, flowing open fenders, and a relatively short stern. The Owen drophead sedanca coupe would, in time, rightfully come to be considered the quintessential Phantom II Continental style, best representing the chassis’ balanced combination of performance and elegance. Originally planned for construction as Owen’s stock, the chassis of the future Gentile car was sold to original owner G.H. Barr of The Field, Benmaenmawr, North Wales, on 18 April 1934, with delivery quoted as one month later on the original build sheet. The chassis was supplied to Gurney Nutting on 30 May, with delivery of the completed car following in October. Second owner George King, Esq., of Shepperton, Middlesex, acquired the Phantom II Continental in October 1937. Later owners, as noted by historian André Blaize in his namesake book on the Continental, were John Holroyd-Reece, in 1940, and David Crawford Collins, in 1955. The car was then purchased in June 1956 by John M. Floyd, a Royal Air Force Sergeant stationed in Suffolk. Sergeant Floyd crossed paths at Suffolk with American Air Force pilot Seymour Johnson, who in 1958 acquired the Phantom II Continental and brought it back with him to the United States. After several years spent in storage, the car was sold in 1969 to Raymond Gentile, following several years of heated pursuit of an Owen drophead sedanca coupe, and what Mr. Blaize describes as “long months of correspondence . . . he made him the kind of offer ‘that he could not refuse.’” Mr. Gentile then began work personally restoring the Continental to its original condition. As an example of the care and workmanship involved in rebuilding every component, two and a half years were spent on the chassis alone, working eight hours a day for 20 days a month. Restoring the coachwork to its original grandeur took another three and a half years. The exceptional restoration was finally completed in time for the Rolls-Royce Owners Club Annual Meeting of 1975, where it won Ladies Choice and the Guerrero Trophy (for best owner restoration). The epic restoration of the Gentile car inspired its owner to compile all that he had learned, through many days and hours of research, in a book, for the benefit of other enthusiasts. The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental was published by Dalton Watson in 1980 and remains a landmark work regularly referenced. Chassis number 201RY, the inspiration for it all, appeared as both the color frontispiece and sketched in silhouette on the cover. As the car toured the country, winning numerous awards at concours d’elegance and in various other judged competitions, it rapidly became the most well-known Continental on American shores. Accordingly, it was featured over the years in other books and publications, too numerous to count, as the “go-to car” whenever a Phantom II Continental was needed. Two separate handcrafted models were produced of the car, and it formed the basis of a famous Revell model kit, first issued in the 1970s and continuously produced for over 30 years. Mr. Gentile retained his prized Continental until 1986, when he sold it to Duncan Bull, who would retain it for over a decade, adding a CCCA Senior First Prize and multiple other concours and RROC awards to its laurels. It was added to Orin Smith’s distinguished collection in 2011 and has remained there since, a well-maintained and highly prized possession. It is remarkable that the original restoration of the car has held up so well over the years, with only minor paint rubs and blemishes to mark it. Not only well-finished cosmetically and still extremely attractive, it is also remarkably authentic, a testament to the amount of research and care that went into restoring it “right” 40 years ago. In examining the car at the Smith Collection, marque expert Diane Brandon was pleased to note that virtually every component on the car is still considered “correct” as per RROC judging standards, down to the finishes and equipment of the engine bay, the correctly polished finish of the original wood fittings, and the set of hand tools fitted to the boot. The car remains, in her estimation, “the definitive example of a correct, as when new, honest Phantom II Continental.” In the ranks of great Full Classics, there are certain cars that, restored and shown, win so frequently and attract so much attention that they come to embody entire marques and models for an entire generation. Such is the tale of Raymond Gentile’s Phantom II Continental, a car that made its owner an expert, led to the creation of a book still widely referenced by collectors, formed the basis of a bestselling model kit, and has been shown all over the world. It stands alone as, quite simply, the most famous extant Continental – a car whose history, authenticity, and provenance are simply without peer.Read more
230 bhp, 2,593 cc DOHC V-8 engine with Spica mechanical fuel injection, five-speed ZF manual transmission, front independent suspension, live rear axle with coil spring suspension, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 92.5 in. Race-bred Tipo 33-based V-8 engineBertone coachwork designed by the legendary Marcelo GandiniA highly original example with 79,866 kilometers showing on the odometer Alfa Romeo received a tremendous honor in late 1966 when it was selected to create a conceptual exhibit of man’s aspiration for the automobile at the 1967 International and Universal Exposition, held in Montreal. Alfa assigned coachwork duties to Bertone, and the project was spearheaded by Marcelo Gandini, the young designer who had leapt to the forefront of the automotive imagination with the Lamborghini Miura. Two identical prototypes featuring inline-four engines were prepared for the exhibition, and Gandini did not disappoint. Channeling many of the same cues that made the Miura so innovative, the new Alfa was wide and low with a shark-like nose extending through a curved fender and shoulder haunches into a truncated tail. The headlight “blinds” and stacked horizontal vents on the C-pillar were attractive, as well as futuristic in concept. Strong customer interest prompted Alfa to develop a production version, which continued to be based on the respected 105 Series chassis, as with the Expo show cars. A new direction was taken for the model’s engine, however. Discarding the 105’s standard twin-cam inline-four, Alfa’s engineers installed a modified version of the competition-pedigreed V-8 from the Tipo 33 prototype race car. Featuring aluminum alloy construction, dual overhead-cam actuation, and a dry-sump lubrication system, the advanced racing engine provided the new production model with nearly unprecedented power for an Alfa road car. Aided by its aerodynamic body, the Montreal was good for a top speed of nearly 140 mph. Approximately just 3,925 examples of the appropriately named Montreal were built between 1971 and 1975. This particular example of the iconic Montreal was built in late 1972 but was first registered in France in 1974. After remaining in a large collection in France until 2000, the car was imported to California in 2002 by what is believed to be the third owner of the car, James Paige of Boca Raton, Florida. Though the owner lived in Florida, it is said that he spent a large amount of time in California and that this car was left in that state for him to enjoy there. It was purchased from Mr. Paige by the previous owner, living in Michigan. He continued to maintain the highly original Montreal for several years before passing it on to its fifth and current owner, putting less than 100 kilometers on the car in the process. Perhaps due to the care and long-time stewardship of the first owner in France, this Montreal remains in highly original condition and is eminently drivable. The assorted minor cosmetic blemishes found in the paint suggest that the Metallic Gold paint is the very paint with which it left Bertone in 1972. The original interior is clean but shows signs of wear consummate with the age and mileage of this well-cared-for automobile. The undercarriage is believed to wear its original surface and is very clean. New Magnaflow mufflers have been installed and provide an exhaust note consistent with the Alfa’s race-bred heritage. The Montreal is rapidly becoming one of the most famous Italian sports cars of its decade, and this is a superb example.Read more
98 bhp, 1,949 cc SOHC inline four-cylinder engine, twin SU carburetors, four-speed Moss manual transmission with synchromesh, live front and rear axles, and four-wheel mechanical Girling drum brakes. Wheelbase: 102 in. An extremely rare and desirable pre-war Aston MartinRestored by marque specialist Steel Wings for AMOCNA stalwart Vincent YoungPresented in most desirable ‘Short-Chassis’ Open Sports configurationWonderful lines and proportionsAt ease on touring and rally events; very user-friendly THE ASTON MARTIN 15/98 By the mid-1930s, Aston Martin was one of the most admired of British sporting makes, as it was now under the design and technical direction of Augustus “Bert” Bertelli. The cars were undeniably pretty, but they were also purposeful, solidly engineered, hand-built, quick, and agile. The signature 1.5-liter endurance sports racers continually evolved and gained great success, taking the team prize in the 1934 Tourist Trophy race in Ulster and finishing in an impressive 3rd place at the 1935 24 Hours of Le Mans. As a production car, the newly christened Ulster model made for a very desirable 100 mph sporting mount for the enthusiastic driver. Ultimately, though, its market was limited to a small number of serious (and well-heeled) sportsmen. Aston Martin took the decision to develop a more versatile offering for the company’s next generation of cars, starting with an updated new chassis by Bertelli, with credit to another brilliant engineer, Claude Hill. Significantly, the new specification mandated an increase in displacement to two liters, as its longer stroke could provide plenty of torque for a more relaxed motoring experience. With its four-cylinder, single overhead-camshaft wet sump engine, the new car developed some 98 brake horsepower, and it featured a four-speed Moss synchromesh gearbox and Girling rod mechanical drum brakes. Overall, it was an exceptionally well-balanced machine, now marketed as being the Two Litre range. Accolades piled up, such as the following summary from Autocar: “[The Aston Martin Two Litre is] softer, quieter, and more flexible, whilst acceleration and general suitability for everyday purposes have increased out of all knowledge.” The car was originally targeted for debut at Le Mans in 1936, so a competition version of the Two Litre chassis was developed (known as the Speed Model), but a labor strike in France resulted in the cancellation of the race. Nevertheless, production continued, with an initial focus on touring configurations, such as a closed saloon, a drophead coupe by coachbuilder Abbott, and a 2/4 seat open tourer, with road-going versions dubbed 15/98; this was a common designation that denoted Britain’s “taxable” vs. measured horsepower. With excess capacity at the factory, a short-chassis version of the 15/98 was introduced with its most appealing shape to date, the Open Sports, which was bodied by Abbey Coachworks, of Willesden, London. After its debut at the inaugural Earl’s Court Motor Show in 1937, some 50 were built in this stylish form, out of the approximately 171 Two Litre cars produced in total by Aston Martin during the pre-war era. The result provided sporty, open motoring without the racing pretentions. CHASSIS NUMBER J8/776/LS The 15/98 offered here, chassis number J8/776/LS, is recorded by its original build sheets, copies of which are on file, as having been delivered as a standard chassis with Bertelli saloon coachwork to A.W. Stewart-Dean, Esq., of Sudbrook Manor, Grantham, on 21 October 1938. The record further indicates that the car passed to second owner I.H. Mann of Terreagles [sic], Maidenhead, Berkshire, on 6 March 1954. Interestingly, Mr. Stewart-Dean had acquired a brand-new DB2 in 1953, and so it seems likely that the sale of the 15/98 was spurred only by an enthusiast’s acquisition of the “latest and greatest” Aston Martin. He was a longstanding and well-known customer of the factory, whose daughter carried on the tradition of Aston ownership following his passing. The next known owners, recorded in Aston Martin Owners Club records, were R.W. and R.J. Mills, who apparently acquired the car in the early 1980s. In their ownership, the chassis was shortened to the “Short-Chassis” configuration, and a two-seat Open Sports body built, to the original Abbey styling, with its wonderful flowing lines and lovely proportions, and installed, apparently by R.W. Mills’ own hands. In this form the car was later acquired by longtime Aston Martin Owners Club North America member Vincent Young, who commissioned a fresh and complete, body-off restoration by the noted marque specialists Steel Wings of Ivyland, Pennsylvania. As part of the restoration, the car was converted to left-hand drive and outfitted with hydraulic brakes and a gearbox with synchromesh on second, third, and fourth gears, while also being finished to show-quality standards throughout. The entire machine-turned aluminum firewall of the car was professionally fabricated, as part of the left-hand-drive conversion. Done to be both a beautiful and fit driver, during Mr. Young’s ownership the car reportedly won every available award for its type from the AMOC North America! No wonder, then, that Orin Smith subsequently decided to add the car to his collection, where it has been well maintained and enjoyed since. It was judged Best in Class at the Cavallino Classic’s Classic Sports Sunday at Mar-a-Lago in 2012, appearing thereafter in a report on the event in the Winter 2011¬–2012 edition of the AMOCNA quarterly journal, The Vantage Point. The Steel Wings restoration remains in fine overall condition, with a wonderfully satisfying appearance; overall, it appears well done, without being overdone in any particular area, and is clean and ready for further show appearances with a new caretaker. It is the only pre-war Aston Martin known to a longtime AMOCNA director, to be configured in left-hand drive, and with its updated gearbox and willing Two Litre engine, is about the most user-friendly example one might imagine. Many collections include fine Aston Martins, but it was typical of Orin Smith to expand to show the evolution of the company, beginning with its ultimate pre-war model, the saucy and sophisticated 15/98. It is a superb tour and rally entrant, easy to drive and easy on the eyes, with beauty and sophistication to spare.Read more
Series 452. Body Style 4335. 175 bhp, 452 cu. in. OHV V-16 engine, three-speed selective synchromesh manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension and hydraulic dampers, three-quarter floating rear axle with semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension, and four-wheel vacuum-assisted mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 148 in. Offered from a prominent private collectionOne of fewer than a dozen examples known to existExceptionally beautiful, elegant Fleetwood coachworkHigh-quality, well-maintained older restoration This car, engine number 700898, was one of one hundred 1930 V-16 Cadillac chassis produced with this beautiful convertible coupe body style, number 4335. This style is one of the best-looking bodies built on the early “Sixteen,” and it was built exclusively for the V-16 at the original Fleetwood Metal Body Company factory in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania. Like other “Pennsylvania Fleetwoods,” it was distinguished by its vee’d windshield, straight door sills, and a curved molding in the hood and body, which provided a natural place to split the popular, eye-catching two-tone color schemes. Just 11 of these beautiful Classics are known to have survived today, and among them is the V-16 offered here, which is noted by its original build sheet to have been intended for the renowned Uppercu Cadillac Company of New York. Importantly, this document serves as verification that this is the original body and engine for this chassis. Interestingly, the car was originally finished entirely in black, including the chassis, with the hood and cowl vents being chrome-plated – a livery that would be absolutely stunning if recreated! V-16 historian William Meffert has traced the car’s further ownership history to Albro Case, an early enthusiast in East Windsor Hills, Connecticut, who owned it from the 1950s until Mr. Meffert acquired it from him in 1962. Mr. Meffert retained the Cadillac, in unrestored but complete condition, until 1970, when he sold it to collector Dr. Donald Vesley of Florida. The car eventually moved to the Midwest, where its present restoration was undertaken, in a beautiful rich two-tone red and maroon, with a black canvas top and matching leather interior. It was briefly owned by the well-known Michigan businessman, Heinz Prechter, founder of ASC, before joining Brent Merrill’s Ontario stable. It was then acquired for its current owner’s esteemed collection, in which it has received consistent excellent maintenance. The restoration is slightly older now but still presents extremely well, exhibiting only minor stretching and creasing of the interior, while the paint and chrome still hold an excellent shine. Dual driving lights, dual fender lights, and dual side-mounted spares with mirrors (as original), as well as painted wire wheels shod in whitewall tires, add a wonderful period flair. Still enjoyable for CARavans and regional concours d’elegance, this Cadillac is one of fewer than a dozen surviving in this extremely rare and beautiful body style, and boasts wonderful authenticity and long-term known history. It awaits a happy home in a new collection, where it will be enjoyed as it has for the past six decades.Read more
Est. 150 bhp, 4,566 cc F-head inline six-cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with hydraulic shock dampers, semi-elliptical leaf spring rear suspension with adjustable hydraulic shock dampers, and servo-assisted front and mechanical rear drum brakes. Wheelbase: 120 in. A rare example of subtle Swiss coachwork on the Bentley Mark VI chassisHigh-quality, award-winning restoration; beautiful linesWonderful period-correct accessories, including fitted luggage and a picnic hamperCorrect professional conversion to an open cabriolet Swiss coachbuilder Hermann Graber of Basel worked on virtually every fine chassis from the 1930s through the 1950s but became especially highly regarded for the gentle elegance of its designs on Rolls-Royce and Bentley. This included several similar drophead coupes produced on Mark VI chassis, known for their smooth, modern “pontoon”-fendered lines, with integrated headlamps and flowing slab sides, giving them an appearance reminiscent of Talbot-Lago. The example offered here was ordered as a chassis through the renowned Geneva agent, S.A. Garage de L’Athénée, by Monsieur A. Walter Gemuseus of Zurich, a prominent Swiss banker, with Graber noted as the coachbuilder of record. Special features requested included a steering column in the lowest possible position, suiting the first owner’s build, as well as a metric speedometer, “no horns or fog lamp,” and double-filament headlights, as well as provision for the installation of a special Swiss long-wave radio. It should be noted that build sheets for the car, as well as Bernard L. King’s book, Bentley Mark VI, describe it consistently as a “two-seater coupe” or “fixed head coupe,” to a unique design. Factory records indicate that delivery of the car was made to Monsieur Gemuseus on 1 June 1952. Later ownership is not recorded, aside from a Mr. Singh of California, from whom it was purchased by longtime Rolls-Royce and Bentley connoisseur, Gene Epstein, in the early 21st century. By this time, the car had been converted to its present cabriolet configuration. Mr. Epstein endeavored to complete a ground-up restoration of the car, in which the body was removed from the chassis, and the frame itself taken down to bare metal, repaired as necessary, and properly refinished. The engine and all mechanical components were carefully rebuilt. The body was refinished in a beautiful forest green and black two-tone, with high-quality tan leather upholstery. The steering column, steering wheel, and instruments were removed and correctly restored. Proper Marchal headlamps, as original, were fitted, along with a pair of matching fog lights. Importantly, the top was also remade, to authentic Graber designs, including custom-machined hardware. Typical of Mr. Epstein’s restorations, the result is quite brilliant and was much-appreciated by Mr. Smith, who enjoyed driving this car regularly. Nonetheless the finish of the body and interior are still excellent and show-quality, as is the flawless interior woodwork; as marque expert Diane Brandon noted when inspecting the car, “its cosmetics are superb.” The driver’s door contains a cubby with two crystal decanters and four glasses, while the luggage compartment contains proper sets of hand and road tools, a period Norelco Sportsman electric razor in its original box, a Coracle wicker picnic hamper with full complements of flatware and plastic food boxes, and a three-piece set of period fitted luggage. Lovely in its presentation and the subtle elegance of its lines, this is among the most beautiful Graber designs on the Mark VI chassis and awaits a new home on either the Swiss Alpine roads or a concours field.Read more
40/50 hp, 468 cu. in. OHV inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs, live rear axle with cantilever leaf-spring platform suspension, and four-wheel servo-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 146.5 in. The 250 GTO of the Springfield Rolls-Royce worldOne of just two original examples built on Phantom I chassisFormerly owned by Dr. George Bitgood and Prestley BlakeThe only Henley Roadster known presently available for saleA remarkable opportunity to acquire a crown jewel THE HENLEY ROADSTER With “Rolls-Royce Custom Coach Work” cataloguing numerous attractive styles for the American Rolls-Royce chassis, arguments over which is the most beautiful has become something of a pastime for enthusiasts. It usually comes down, however, to the Henley Roadster, with its distinctive “dipped” door lines, low vee’d windshield, and svelte tail, concealing a rumble seat that has its own pair of tiny doors. The Henley was that rare design where the designer struck a home run on every point; there is, quite simply, not a bad view or angle to the entire car. It managed to make a large Phantom I or Phantom II look positively racy. Brewster built 11 copies of the Henley Roadster between 1929 and 1933, for a client list that read like a society “who’s who.” Of the 11 original cars built, 10 have survived, and these have, fittingly and justifiably, become priceless. Occupying the same rarefied position in their niche as the ne plus ultra and ultimate examples of their type, they can safely be considered the 250 GTO of the American Rolls-Royce world, as the whereabouts of all are known, and they are all part of significant private collections. They seldom become available for sale, especially at public auction, and when they do, it is a significant occasion. Indeed, the car offered here, from the collection of Orin Smith, is the only original Henley Roadster likely to become available in the foreseeable future. CHASSIS NUMBER S303LR The Henley Roadster was designed and intended for the Phantom II chassis, but that did not stop a pair of owners from ordering the sexy new style mounted to their Phantom Is. One of the two Henley Roadsters built for Phantom Is was this body, number 6003, which was originally mounted to chassis number S140FR for New York jeweler A.V. Frost. It was subsequently moved in July of 1940 to this chassis, number S303LR, for M.D. Whalen, as is documented in the Rolls-Royce of America records, copies of which are on file. The car passed in the summer of 1944 to Dr. George E. Bitgood, the Connecticut veterinarian famous for his collection of Mercedes-Benz 540Ks; it undoubtedly looked right at home alongside his pair of Special Roadsters. It next passed to a Mrs. Maria Shrady, who traded it back to New York Rolls-Royce dealer J.S. Inskip; the car was then sold by Inskip to Henry McNevin Jones of New York City, later in 1949. According to the research of Rolls-Royce historian, André Blaize, the car was subsequently acquired in 1957 by James M. Wareham of New York. Its next known owner, in the early 1980s, was William Mayberry of Connecticut, who sold the car in 1982 to S. Prestley Blake. Co-founder of the famous Friendly’s chain of ice cream parlors with his brother, Curtis. “Pres” Blake has been a member of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club since its earliest days and has for decades been one of the most avid American collectors of the company’s automobiles. The Henley Roadster became one of the most famous cars in his fleet, and it remained in his ownership until 1999. The Rolls was later acquired in 2003 by Wayne Kay of Mississauga, Ontario, who sold it several years later to a prominent Western collection. In 2010 it joined the well-known Off Brothers Collection in Richland, Michigan, where it was exhibited proudly for several years before its addition to the Orin Smith stable. Because of its beautiful lines, great rarity, and subtly elegant color scheme, the Henley Roadster was one of the Smith’s favorite cars in their collection; it was given a place of prominence in their museum, and the livery inspired similar finishes on their Phantom I Ascot Tourer. They maintained the car to the same high standard in which it had been preserved by previous owners, and today, while both paint and interior are older, both remain solid and largely unmarred, although the top shows considerable age. Panel fit is very good throughout, with the exception of the right-hand door, which is “proud” slightly at the bottom edge. Importantly, the original body number is still stamped into the wooden floorboards. The dashboard is correct late Phantom I, with a “cubby box” on either side. The wheels are dressed with polished wheel discs and whitewall tires, while the body is accessorized with dual spotlights, correct double flat bar bumpers, and a correct Trilin tail lamp. Under the hood, all is tidy, with very nice finishes aside from some unusual aftermarket radiator hose fittings. An interesting and most charming feature is that the car retains its original set of keys, which will accompany it to a new owner. The keys are hung on a modern loop with two original “fobs,” both brass, one of which is stamped “S303LR Hen,” and the other bearing the legend “Rolls-Royce of America Chassis No. S303LR.” Lovely to behold and a pleasure to drive, this Henley Roadster represents more than just an exciting opportunity. It marks a rare occasion to acquire an instant centerpiece and immediate bragging rights to one of the scarcest “Springfield” Phantoms, and to join a roster of great names that have been fortunate to possess S303LR over the last 80 years.Read more
Blog posts about "RM Sotheby's"
- Record-breaking sales for Porsche at RM Sotheby's
- RM Sotheby's sale on 7th September, featured a record-setting single-owner Porsche collection along side their stellar lot of the sale, an Aston Martin DB4GT.
- Le Mans-winning Jaguar D-Type most expensive British automobile ever be sold at auction
- A Le Mans-winning Jaguar D-Type became the most expensive British automobile to ever be sold at auction, as the model reached a staggering £16.63 million ($21.78 million) at RM Sotheby's on 19th August, 2016.
- Over 90 collectable cars at RM Sotheby's 18th Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance sale
- RM Sotheby's, the largest collector car auction house, will be celebrating their 18th annual sale at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance on 12th with a catalogue of over 90 blue-chip collector cars.
- Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster set to sell for $10 million at RM Sotheby's Arizona Biltmore auction
- RM Sotheby's, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles is set to lift the gavel on some 149 hand-selected motor cars from some of the world's most iconic automotive marques when its 17th annual Arizona sale returns to Phoenix, January 28-29.
- 2015: A golden year for auction records
- Now is the time to close the auction season for 2015, and look back on a year of incredible new records.
Realised prices "RM Sotheby's "
- 1972 DeTomaso Pantera NOS and Used Parts
- NOS parts include a valve cover name plate, a universal joint and a window regulator drive gear.Used parts include a pair of door handles, a shifter plate, two thermostatic radiator cooling fans, a radiator, a water pump and coolant tubes. RM Sotheby's
- 1939 Packard Twelve Touring Cabriolet by Brunn
- Series 1708. 175 bhp, 473.3 cu. in. L-head V-12 engine, three-speed column-shifted manual transmission, coil-spring independent front suspension, semi-elliptic leaf spring rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 139 in.\n\nFrom the collection of Richard and Linda Kughn\nOne of the last Packard “catalogue customs”\nThe first of only two built in 1939\nIntriguing Hollywood connection\nA well-preserved, largely original car\n\nHermann Brunn apprenticed with his uncle’s carriage-building firm before setting up his own company to build automobile bodies in Buffalo, New York, in 1908. While closely tied with Lincoln in its early years, it eventually branched out to work on all the prestigious chassis of the Classic Era.\n\nIn 1936, Brunn designed for himself a handsome, long-wheelbase limousine body that combined modern, rounded streamlined design with the classic folding landaulet top of 1910s formal cars. An especially interesting feature was the dual-tinted glass “Neutralite” skylights mounted above the windshield, a Brunn innovation intended to allow the owner, or, more likely, his chauffeur, to easily view stoplights. The design could be had with or without the traditional town car-style open driver’s seat.\n\nDubbed the touring cabriolet, this design was appreciated by Packard enough that they asked Brunn to build a few of them on the V-12 chassis in 1938 and 1939. Packard sent chassis directly to Buffalo. Brunn crafted the bodies using Packard factory convertible sedan door stampings, which were reportedly not up to the coachbuilder’s high standards of excellence, requiring their craftsmen to modify them extensively. As a result, these “semi-customs” became, essentially, fully custom bodies, as perfectly tailored as anything Brunn built to order.\n\nThe car shown here is body number one of a believed two Style 4086 closed-roof touring cabriolets built in 1939, the last year of V-12 production. This marked the end of the line for not only one of the Classic Era’s finest automobiles, but also one of its finest coachbuilders. At $8,355 each, these were also the most expensive factory-authorized Packard Twelves ever built.\n\nThis example is believed to have been delivered through Packard’s “dealer to the stars,” Earle C. Anthony, whose Los Angeles dealership sold more new Packards than any other in the world. Reportedly, Anthony sold this particular car to Ray Noble, who achieved success in his native England as a bandleader and composer. He brought this fame to the United States in 1934 and enjoyed a successful run with his band at New York City’s famed Rainbow Room before relocating once again to Los Angeles and moving into film work. His work in Hollywood was mostly limited to conducting and scoring for major motion pictures, but he also found his niche as a comedic actor, usually playing the stereotypical “silly Englishman.” While Noble’s ownership of this Packard has never been proven, it would seem an ideal purchase for one finding success in Glitter Gulch, and his name has long been linked with the car.\n\nThe Packard was more recently owned for many years by the late enthusiast Sam DelRusso Sr., of Connecticut, and was acquired from his estate by Robert Castignetti, of Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Kughn acquired the car some time later, and they have maintained it in their collection ever since.\n\nThis Packard is a well-maintained, very original car that still wears what is believed to be its factory coat of black lacquer, which still holds a deep shine over straight, true body panels; only the paint around the windows has been redone. The tan cloth upholstery within is also believed to be original and is in very nice condition, while the interior hardware exhibits some mild tarnish and wear; there is mild staining about the replacement fabric top covering. Perhaps the most fascinating, evocative touch is the original umbrella under the driver’s seat, which is ready to be whisked out by the chauffeur, to cover the head of his moneyed employer at a moment’s notice.\n\nThe walnut accents throughout the interior were refinished and highly varnished, and they have a deep, rich appeal. While the driver’s compartment is nicely detailed, the original steering wheel exhibits a few cracks. An interesting feature is that this car has the optional column shift for the transmission, an option on the 1939 models, making this one of the few CCCA Classics to boast a column-shifted transmission. The exterior brightwork is in good condition, and the car is equipped with wide whitewall tires. Dual side-mounted spares, coupled with a commodious trunk and an external folding trunk rack, give real meaning to the term “touring” cabriolet. The side-mount covers are fitted with Packard See-Rite side-view mirrors.\n\nGiven its overall condition and careful examination of all components, this appears to be a thoroughly original automobile, maintained but never fully restored, and the 59,874 miles recorded may well be the original reading since new.\n\nOnly 446 Packard Twelves were built in 1939, with the number of Brunn touring cabriolets estimated at fewer than 10 examples; these were among the last factory catalogue custom V-12 Packards, and the most expensive. As a result, this is the opportunity to acquire one of the rarest of the rare, from the final year of the V-12 Packard, in very much its original condition.\n\nBody no. 1\nVehicle no. B602030A RM Sotheby's
- RM Sotheby's has 112 objects in the categories.
Find address and telephone number to RM Sotheby's