RM Sotheby's

RM Sotheby’s (formerly RM Auctions) is the largest auction house in the world specialising in collector cars. As market leaders, since their foundation in 1976 they have transformed the global market for automobile auctions, raising their status to premium events to compare with auctions of fine art. In February 2015, RM Auctions formed a strategic partnership with Sotheby’s to become RM Sotheby’s.

They host auctions across North America and Europe, attracting buyers and sellers from around the world, representing over 60 countries. The locations of their American auctions span the United States and include Monterey, California; Hershey, Pennsylvania; Phoenix, Arizona; Detroit, Michigan; and Amelia Island, Florida. Since 2007, RM Sotheby’s has held sales in Europe, in locations ranging from London to Maranello. Their European calendar now includes auctions in Monaco during the weekend of the Grand Prix de Monaco, and at Retromobile week, Paris.

RM Sotheby’s employs the world’s largest team of dedicated car specialists, who combine over 530 years of experience in buying, selling, racing, and restoring prestige automobiles. RM holds four of the top ten all-time records for the most valuable motor cars to be sold at auction.

Countries
  • United Kingdom
  • USA
  • Canada
  • Germany
  • India
Objects "RM Sotheby's"

1964 Aston Martin DB5 'Vantage Specification'

Excellent example with a complete bare-shell restoration completed in February 2017Desirable upgrade to Vantage specification performed to Aston Martin Works standardsMaintained in single ownership for 30 years The Aston Martin DB5 is one of those vehicles that simply needs no introduction. Recognized around the world, the DB5 was made famous in the James Bond movie Goldfinger, cementing Aston Martin’s status as the vehicle of choice for spies and gentlemen alike. The example offered here, chassis no. DB5/1401/R, was originally delivered to Mr G.N. Lumb in Huddersfield, who by all accounts enjoyed the tourer immensely. Before passing the DB5 onto the second owner, Lumb had 1401/R serviced routinely by the factory; the build sheet records the vehicle as hitting nearly 10,000 miles within the first year of his ownership. According to the build sheet, the factory serviced the car through 1965, which was most likely when Lumb sold the car on to R.J. Chatting of Staffordshire. Chassis DB5/1401/R was originally equipped with a non-standard Laycock clutch, and early in 1965, a timing chain modification was carried out. The DB5 benefitted from a restoration in the early ’80s while under the care of 30 years of single ownership. It is thought that the upgrade to Vantage specification, not yet available when the car was originally delivered, occurred during this ownership. Utilizing triple Weber twin-choke side draft carburettors and revised camshaft profiles, the Vantage engine was able to hit 60 mph from a standstill in 6.5 seconds. The Vantage-specification engine produced an astounding 315 bhp, nearly 40 more than the standard engine. Upon purchasing the vehicle, the current owner embarked upon his own full restoration. Performed to Aston Martin Works specifications and standards, this most recent restoration was quite comprehensive. Consisting of over 750 hours of labour, the restoration began by repairing dents in the chassis before powder coating. Both the front and rear suspension were rebuilt, and the engine was fully serviced, including a carburettor rebuild. Originally delivered in Dubonnet, the car underwent a bare-metal re-spray in classic Silver Birch before Aston Martin turned to the interior. The all-new interior is finished in Connolly black over black carpets, making for a tasteful and elegant colour combination. New wire wheels fitted with correct Avon radial tyres completed the restoration, which finished just earlier this year. Aston Martin Works, custodians of the vehicle for several owners, retain invoices dating back to the early 1980s. Photos of both the early restoration and this latest one show the extreme care and attention to detail that is so characteristic of an Aston Martin restoration. Today the car presents in excellent mechanical condition and appears as it would have leaving the factory over 50 years ago. For those still enamoured with the schoolboy dream of owning their own DB5, 1401/R presents the perfect opportunity to own a mechanically sound, beautifully restored example.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

De Tomaso Guarà Prototype Model, 1993

The first full-size mock-up for the De Tomaso GuaràPresented in immaculate conditionUnique and interesting display piece The De Tomaso Guarà was a remarkable supercar from Modena. Deriving from the Maserati Barchetta racing car of the 1990s, it was by all means a race car adapted for use on the road. With its stiff chassis and equipped with the suspension system designed by Henrique Scalabroni, it was a remarkable thoroughbred V-8–powered Italian driver’s car. With a price of €145.000 when new, the Guarà was firmly priced in exotic car territory and could be mentioned in the same breath as the Ferrari 348 and Lamborghini Diablo. Only 38 cars were ever produced by the factory, in Barchetta, Coupè and Spider versions. Offered here is the first full-size mock-up of the Gurarà, which was used as guidance for the regular production Guaràs. After De Tomaso’s closure in 2004, this model, alongside the Pantera 2000 mock-up also offered here at auction, were saved by Matteo Panini of the famed Panini Collection. Both cars were then later purchased by the current owner for display in his collection. Furthermore, it is accompanied by a handful of original De Tomaso documents, confirming its history. This marks the first time that this Guarà model has been publicly offered for sale. This is a truly remarkable opportunity for De Tomaso collectors to own the original model used to guide production of the Guarà. Addendum Please note that this lot is subject to VAT on the full purchase price (both on the hammer price and commission). Should you require further information, please speak to RM Sotheby's administration department.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1953 Nash-Healey Roadster by Pinin Farina

One of just 150 Nash-Healey Roadsters built with Pinin Farina coachworkRecently underwent a full mechanical workup, including top-end engine rebuild During a chance meeting, Donald Healey and Nash-Kelvinator Chief George Mason discussed the prospect of collaborating on a sports car. The duo came to an agreement, and batches of Nash Ambassador six-cylinder engines and three-speed gearboxes were shipped to Warwickshire, England. Mason never cared for the original slab styling of the car, and as he had already contracted Italy’s Battista ‘Pinin’ Farina to style the senior Nashes for 1952, he asked Farina to update the Nash-Healey as well. Steel bodywork replaced aluminium, and the price jumped to $5,858, with a total of just 150 produced. Offered here is one such rare model, in excellent condition. Though the original owner is not known, by 1976 chassis 2416 was in the care of Warren Dixon III, in Michigan, USA. Passing through another owner in New York before ending up with an enthusiast in Utah, chassis 2416 was in good mechanical condition but needed a cosmetic refresh. The owner, Mr Williams, had the faded silver paint re-sprayed to red, and commissioned an interior restoration. Sold to the current owner in 2013, the vehicle left the United States for Switzerland – export documents accompany the vehicle. Upon coming into current ownership, the Nash-Healey underwent a complete top-engine rebuild, including new cylinder head and intake. The engine was disassembled and cleaned, in a nearly 200-hour-long process that saw rusty and broken parts replaced. Finally, a full electrical and mechanical check-over was completed to ensure that the vehicle is in perfect working order. Called ‘America’s first post-war sports car’, this Nash-Healey offers an exciting opportunity to own a car that is not only rarer than a Gullwing, but also eligible for a multitude of concours and touring events.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1937 Chevrolet Master Cabriolet by Duval

One-off body by Carrosserie Charles DuvalRecent documented restorationRebuilt engine sourced from the U.S. Although considered by many in Europe as unsophisticated, American cars developed a certain following on the continent between the World Wars. Although not as economical to operate as British and European makes, and saddled with additional duties and road tax, they proved to be robust and reliable. Purchased new by an aristocrat in the Loire Valley of France, this 1937 Chevrolet Master was consigned to Carrosserie Charles Duval at Boulogne-sur-Seine, a Parisian suburb, for a bespoke body. Established in 1929, Duval’s firm built its first bodies for Amilcar chassis, for which it became well known. Other marques wearing Duval bodies included Derby, Tracta, Chenard-Walcker and even Bugatti. A 1930 Delahaye is described by the late historian Jan Norbye as ‘follow[ing] the American style’. In addition to one-off bodies, Duval undertook some series production for La Licorne until 1939. The coming of war put an end to the enterprise. The original consignor of this Chevrolet Master gave instruction for a five-seat ‘Mylord’ cabriolet. He kept the car until the 1960s, when it was sold to its second owner. It was then restored in 2007 in an extensive operation, in which a correct 216-cubic inch replacement engine was sourced in the United States, rebuilt there and shipped to France for installation. Documentation for this work is included on file. Finished in white with blue wings, the Master exhibits a measure of flair not seen in home-market Chevrolets. Duval’s craftsmen echoed the line of the Chevrolet’s body crease, which on ’37s originates from the lower edge of the bonnet. The beltline of the body mirrors this profile, which is highlighted by a bold bright moulding running in parallel. A ‘bustle’ luggage compartment is appended to the rear of the body, with an exposed spare on the boot-lid. The hood folds down and rests atop the body in Germanic fashion, and side lamps on the front wings give the American nose a Continental air.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Lightweight

Widely considered to be the most successful Carrera RS 2.7 in international rallyingWinner of the 1974 Circuit of Ireland, Donegal International and Castrol Manx International RalliesExhaustively researched rallying history of nearly 40 rallies, including 14 international eventsThe last of 17 RHD 2.7 RS LightweightsFour-year highly authentic restoration overseen by an acknowledged RS specialist Boasting a hugely successful rallying career in Ireland and Great Britain, this late-production Carrera RS is the beneficiary of a recent four-year restoration that has returned the car to stunning, factory-authentic condition. Chassis number 9113601501 is one of just 17 lightweight examples configured with right-hand drive, and the final one sold in Great Britain. The car was therefore equipped with many of the latest homologation racing features concurrently utilized on the factory-campaigned RSR examples, including the shorter suspension trailing arms that desirably improved handling. Finished in white paint with red Carrera script, the 2.7 RS was sold new to Harold Morley, a British rally driver who had won the 1972 Motoring News Rally Championship. This car is the second of two Carrera RS Lightweights that Morley purchased from Porsche of Great Britain in 1973, registered on 1 August as ‘OM 77’. Morley entered the 911 in three international rallies during 1973, including the final round of the World Championship, the RAC Rally, where the car was the highest-finishing Porsche and winner of the team prize. In January 1974, Morley sold the 2.7 RS to Cathal Curley, a highly accomplished Irish driver. Borrowing £8,500 to finance the purchase and with no money left over for insurance, Curley re-registered the Lightweight ‘AUI 1500’, and with this designation the car achieved its greatest feats, which were widely captured in media and the popular imagination, even being the subject of a pop song! At the gruelling five-day, 1,200-mile Circuit of Ireland Rally in April 1974, Curley emerged victorious, beating some half-dozen other RSs. It then went on to win the Donegal International Rally in June, beating one of the new alloy-bodied Carrera RS 3.0 examples while earning Curley his third annual victory at the event. It was during this momentous win that photographer Esler Crawford snapped an iconic image of AUI 1500 as it launched several feet off the ground from a rise in the course, a picture that has been widely reprinted. In September 1974, Curley entered the RS in the Castrol Manx International Rally, and once again managed to defeat some of the period’s greatest rally drivers, including Roger Clark. The victory marked Curley’s third outright win on a major tarmac rally, and he finished the 1974 season in 4th place in the RAC Championship, and 8th in the Castrol Autosport Championship. The season was also notable for the sponsorships that accompanied it, with AUI 1500 being featured prominently in period print advertisements for Porsche and Dunlop, and receiving support from Porsche GB and Porsche A.G. in Stuttgart. After flirting with retirement following the season’s conclusion, Curley entered AUI 1500 for a final race at the Galway International Rally in 1975 and led the event until retiring. The Lightweight then passed to several British owners over the next four years, continuing an arduous racing career that saw almost 40 rallies, including 14 international-level events, including the 1978 RAC Rally. After the model’s homologation eligibility expired in 1979, AUI 1500 was sold to an enthusiast in South Africa, where it was entered in several local rallies. The 2.7 RS was acquired by South African Albert Van Heerden, then upgraded in 1984 to Group 4 RSR specifications (including a 3.4-litre twin-plug werks engine) and raced in events such as the Rolo Motor Historics Championship. Van Heerden’s racing resume came to an inauspicious end leading from pole at the Kyalami circuit in Johannesburg in 1987, when an accident rolled the car and left the driver unhurt but badly shaken. Too damaged to warrant repairs at that time, the RS Lightweight was sold to a private Porsche collector who domiciled the car in unrepaired condition for 23 years. In 2010, the collector offered the 911 for sale, and it was purchased by the consignor, a well-known RS expert residing in Great Britain. He meticulously planned, then commenced, a comprehensive restoration, returning it to original factory specifications utilizing as many new original-stock parts as possible, which were sourced at great effort. The roof, wiring loom and dated parts, for example, were sourced from donor cars made in the same period, carefully installed and attached. Particular care and attention was given to repairing the original shell retaining factory welds where possible and replicating new welds carefully completed to look identical to the originals they replaced. The last two available original right-hand-drive floor panels were obtained from Porsche’s Parts department, and a proper 911/83 crankcase was sourced for a rebuild of a correct engine, which was then re-stamped with a proper AT (abschrift) replacement suffix. To authenticate the RS’s identity, the car was fully inspected by Porsche AG and issued a new factory chassis plate. The managing director of Porsche Cars Great Britain and the registry secretary of the Porsche Club of Great Britain both wrote letters testifying to the importance of the car. Completed in April 2014, the meticulous restoration is believed to be the most comprehensive private refurbishment ever conducted on a 2.7 RS. AUI 1500 immediately commenced a celebratory exhibition tour, photographed the day after the restoration’s completion on the finish ramp of the Circuit of Ireland, 40 years after winning the rally. Commemorative appearances at Donegal and Manx soon followed, as well as a special invitation for display among Porsche museum cars at Brands Hatch when it returned to the UK. In April 2016, chassis number 9113601501 returned to Ireland for a race re-enactment, joining 172 rally cars through six different stages. Curley and his co-driver, Austin Frazer, were able to drive the car again and reunited with Donegal co-driver, Terry Harryman, and autographed the underside of the front decklid. The RS was also prominently featured in the August 2016 issue of Classic Porsche magazine. One of just 17 2.7 RS Lightweights distributed to Great Britain, and one of 200 built for worldwide use, this distinguished 911 makes a solid claim as ‘the most successful 2.7 Carrera RS of all time’, as writer Mark Copeland described in his book researched over 20 years. Meticulously restored, authenticated by the factory and respected Porsche experts, and benefitting from an incredibly detailed restoration that has maximized and reinstated originality to a remarkable degree, this outstanding 2.7 RS is also accompanied by an FIA Historic Technical Passport that qualifies it for numerous vintage events worldwide. It should expect a warm welcome at club events and Porsche gatherings, as one of the most impressive examples of Stuttgart’s most celebrated 911s.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1996 Porsche 911 Turbo

Just two owners and 2,133 miles from newDelivered new to the Sultan of BruneiRetains its original engineRecent re-commissioning by a marque specialistPorsche Certificate of Authenticity For the 993 generation, Porsche endowed its iconic 911 sports coupé with the enviable combination of a traditional body shape and air-cooled engine with the modern conveniences of all-wheel-drive traction and electronic engine management. Launched in 1995, the Turbo was the pinnacle of the 993-generation at the time; its twin- turbocharged 3.6-litre inline six-cylinder engine afforded 959 levels of outright performance, indisputable reliability and everyday drivability. It is no surprise that it has been described as 'The King of Porsche' and 'the last breath of fresh air that Porsche gave the world; elegance and muscle all in one package'. It is the definition of a modern classic, as the 993 would be the last air-cooled 911 produced. First registered on the 28th of September 1995, this particular 993 Turbo was exported by AFN Chiswick to Brunei, where it saw minimal usage as part of the Sultan’s abundant car collection before being placed in storage. It was recently re-patriated to the UK by its current owner, the car’s second custodian, and has since been the subject of a comprehensive marque specialist re-commission, comprising a full engine rebuild and replacement of all perishable parts. This included, but was not limited to: hoses, gaskets, suspension bushings, rubber seals, engine mountings, gearbox mountings and steering couplings. The accompanying Porsche Certificate of Authenticity confirming its status as a matching-numbers car will be provided with the car, along with a fresh MOT. Having covered just 2,133 miles from new and being painted in the desirable Arena Red metallic with black soft ruffled leather, this 993 presents impeccably even to the most critical eye. It may well be the finest and most original example of a right-hand-drive 993 Turbo that has been offered to the market to date and represents an opportunity that every serious collector would be wise to consider.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1986 Gemballa Avalanche

An extraordinary example of ’80s tuning at its finest; a collaboration between Gemballa and RUFHighly original with less than 13,800 miles from newBelieved to be one of 15 produced Despite the Porsche 930 Turbo being one of the fastest and most highly regarded sports cars of the 1980s, a market for specialist tuners emerged during this time with RUF and Gemballa coming to the fore. Gemballa was founded in 1981 by Uwe Gemballa, an engineer who started out creating bespoke interiors before developing a strong interest in aerodynamics and associated aftermarket products. Not before too long, Gemballa turned its attention to producing whole cars based on Porsche 930s and quickly gained a reputation for outrageous designs and performance. The Avalanche, along with the convertible Cyrrus, debuted in 1985. With a price of 390,000 DM (nearly $700,000 in 1989), it was clearly aimed at the flaunting wealth of less conventional members of society, the most famous owner of an Avalanche being the rapper Vanilla Ice. Each Avalanche was extensively modified by Gemballa with virtually unique body panels all-round and bespoke interiors filled with the latest technology for the time. Mechanical modifications were handled by RUF with cars being finished to customer requirements. Believed to be one of 15 examples produced, this 1986 Avalanche was one of the last built. With RUF’s involvement with the project, it is known that this Avalanche received a RUF engine with at least 375 bhp. The interior was tastefully finished in black leather to offset the metallic white of the exterior. Today, this U.S.-delivery example is presented in original and excellent condition with less than 13,800 miles since new. With the Avalanche name recently revived by Gemballa, this represents an exceedingly rare opportunity to own a significant legend of the 1980s.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1967 Porsche 911 'Soft-Window' Targa

Delivered new to a U.S. Air Force doctor in GermanyRestored in SwitzerlandOne of 718 ‘soft-window’ Targas for 1967, the Targa’s first model year Chassis number 500434 is a rare ‘soft-window’ version of Porsche’s 911 Targa that boasts a fascinating ownership history. Nineteen sixty-seven was the very first year for the 911 Targa, and rather than sporting a glass rear window, like the Targas that would come later in the G-Series cars and the current production 991s, these cars sported a detachable plastic window instead, offering a convertible-like driving experience with the added safety and stability of a rollbar. In total, 718 Targas were built that first year. Finished in Agablau, an attractive shade of dark blue which it still sports today, over black vinyl and fitted with the optional light alloy Fuch wheels, the car was delivered to Dr Paul Feinstock of the U.S. Air Force’s 89th Medical Department through Porsche’s distributor in Karlsruhe, Germany, not too far from its native Stuttgart. The 911 was the doctor’s daily transportation during his service in Germany, and when he shipped home to the U.S., the Targa came with him. The car remained in the U.S. for the majority of its life and was exported to Switzerland when acquired by its current owner, a 911 collector and enthusiast. Having been repainted shortly before its acquisition, a mechanical restoration was commissioned when it arrived in Switzerland and the car was found to be remarkably rust free, only requiring minimal welding around the rear suspension mounts. It is worthwhile to note that the car is fitted with a non-original engine of the correct type and a later five-speed gearbox for touring, but is accompanied by a five-speed gearbox of the correct type. Arguably the most collectable variant of the 911 Targa, these early ‘soft-window’ cars have always been in demand for their quirky looks and open-top driving experience, something that was not fully realized on 911s until the 1980s. A must-have model for any Porsche collection, this example will not disappoint.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1953 Porsche 356 Coupé by Reutter

The 35th of only 230 Reutter coupés built in 1953 Equipped with a 1954-series 1.5 engine Finished in seldom-seen Pascha Red, its original colourFull restoration by marque specialist in 2012 This lovely old Porsche coupé has recently emerged from a comprehensive mechanical and cosmetic restoration, wearing the unusually attractive colour of Pascha Red (Code 523) over a Tobacco interior. Rarely seen today, Pascha Red was among nine ‘Special Coupé’ coachwork colours offered in 1952–1953. Nineteen fifty-three models were built at the Reutter plant in Zuffenhausen from October 1952 through March of 1954. Originally equipped with a 1.3-litre Type 506 engine of a mere 44 hp (not far removed from its Volkswagen origins), this very desirable automobile is now fitted with Porsche’s Type 546 opposed 1.5-litre four-cylinder, and interim design that was offered between November and December of 1954. This newer engine produces a still-modest 55 bhp at 4,400 rpm, but better performance over its predecessors. Following its departure from Zuffenhausen, the car was delivered new to the United States in February of 1953. Not much about the car’s history is known, but it was discovered as a barn find in the U.S. and subsequently brought home to Germany, where it was fully restored in 2012 by a marque specialist. The car was returned to its original Pascha Red and fitted with a beige interior. This coupé shows impressive attention to detail; the painted ventilated steel wheels remain the correct 16-inch diameter, the instrument panel includes correct ‘eyebrows’ to block reflections from the major gauges and there is a large clock installed in the centre panel where a radio would otherwise be installed. The steering wheel and control knobs appear to have been properly refinished, and the odometer reads 243 km, the distance travelled since the restoration. After its restoration, the Porsche remained part of a collection in Germany before being sold to its current German owner. Today, the car is accompanied by a small book chronicling the restoration, a copy of its Kardex, as well as a FIVA Identity Card, dated 2013. Relatively few of these early 356s survive; this example would make a fine addition to any Porsche collection.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1979 Ford Capri Group 1 "Ex-Gordon Spice"

One of 17 cars constructed in period by Group 1 Capri specialists CC Racing DevelopmentsFinished 5th overall and set fastest lap at the 1979 Spa 24 Hours Winner of the 4 Hours of Nivelles in 1979Recent competitor at the 75th Goodwood Members’ Meeting, driven by Touring Car legend Roberto RavagliaFully race prepared and benefitting from recent engine rebuild and gearbox overhaul Formed by Peter Clark and Dave Cook in 1976, CC Racing Developments soon emerged as the leading constructor of Group 1 Ford Capris. The 13th of 17 chassis built, CC13 was delivered to Gordon Spice Racing for the eponymous team owner to share with Alain Semoulin in the 1979 Spa 24 Hours. Courtesy of sponsorship from Belga cigarettes, the team also ran two other cars: one for brothers Jean-Michel and Phillipe Martin, the other for Chris Craft and Jeff Allam. Having qualified 7th – within a second of Stuck’s pole-sitting BMW – CC13 was in 3rd place when, shortly after dawn, Semoulin – in Spice’s words – ‘got involved in someone else’s accident’. Although there was extensive near side panel damage and a ruptured fuel tank, the car was duly repaired and Spice resumed the race, setting fastest lap en route to a valiant 5th place overall. With the Martin brothers taking victory, and Craft/Allam 3rd, the coveted Coupe de Roi team’s cup was also secured. Later that year, CC13 won the Quatre Heures de Millenaire at Nivelles, near Brussels, again driven by Spice and Semoulin. On this occasion, the Martin brothers finished 2nd, thereby ensuring a memorable Spice 1-2 and a Capri 1-2-3-4. Spice entered a four-car team at Spa in 1980 – with the Martin brothers repeating their 1979 win – and 1981, and it is likely, although unconfirmed, that CC13 featured in these squads and other rounds of the Belgian Saloon Car Championship. CC13 subsequently passed to Northern Sports and Saloons Championship racer Peter Birds, before being sold to renowned race engine builder Ric Wood, who kept the car for some 20 years. Acquired by the vendor in 2016, who immediately commissioned a ‘no-expense-spared’ restoration (including a £10,000 engine rebuild by Ric Wood), it was raced by Roberto Ravaglia at this year’s Goodwood Members’ Meeting. Furthermore, it is worthwhile mentioning that Gordon Spice has signed the car, and it is offered with a trophy from its win at Nivelles. Recently race prepared by Capri specialist David Margalies, this historic and highly competitive Group 1 contender is ready to be enjoyed immediately in any number of the 1970s and 1980s Touring Car events that are increasingly proving so popular.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec

Two owners from newDelivered new in Japan, where it has remained since newIconic Japanese road racer in sought-after V-Spec configurationRare, early and highly desirable 1,000 series example While many of the PlayStation generation may have first experienced the drama of the R34 GT-R V-Spec via Gran Turismo, it was an appearance in The Fast and the Furious franchise that led to an explosion in global popularity for the R34 GT-R. Indeed, Paul Walker drove an R34 GT-R in 2 Fast 2 Furious, enhancing its almost mythical status. But it was in the ‘real’ world where the R34 GT-R V-Spec would cement its reputation. Described by Evo magazine as 'A warrior-class performer' in its 2007 road test, where a standard R34 GT-R was pitted against the likes of a McLaren F1, Pagani Zonda, Ferrari F40 and Bugatti Veyron, the GT-R’s reputation as a class act remained intact. The V-Spec (Victory Specification) was offered with a number of upgrades over the standard R34 and came equipped with arguably one of the most technically sophisticated four-wheel- drive/steer chassis in the world: the ATTESA E-TS Pro system. The V-Spec also benefited from an active limited-slip differential at the rear. Along with its mechanical upgrades, the V-Spec also had firmer suspension and lower ground clearance, as well as a rear carbon fibre air diffuser. The Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec offered here was first registered in Japan in February 1999 and is one of a limited number of 1,000 series cars—as noted in the chassis number. It has remained in Japan from new and has been with its present Japanese consignor, who purchased the car from its original owner two years ago. It has accrued 146,000 km on its odometer, but its consignor reports that it is in good condition both inside and out and has never been used in any races or involved in an accident. These early versions of the iconic R34-generation Nissan Skyline GT-R series are coveted by collectors because they are increasingly difficult to find, particularly in standard, unmolested form. This V-Spec example remains largely original throughout and would be a prime example to drive and enjoy.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1935 Hispano-Suiza K6 Cabriolet by Brandone

Formerly owned by Peter Mullin and Sam & Emily MannBest of Show Nominee, Best in Class and two-time Alec Ulmann Trophy winner, Pebble Beach Concours d’EleganceWinner of the Grand Prix d’Honneur, 1936 L’Elegance Automobile on the Cote d’AzurAn exceptionally stunning six-cylinder Hispano-Suiza When it at last came time to replace Hispano-Suiza’s hallowed H6 model in 1935, the company created a new engine with a shorter 110-millimetre stroke and improved breathing, allowing for more horsepower from fewer cubic inches of displacement. It was mounted to an impressive chassis and equipped with an ingenious four-wheel braking system, which utilizes a driveshaft-mounted servomechanism to multiply the mechanical pressure applied to the brake pedal. Semi-elliptical leaf springs supported both the front and rear axles, and in the engine, liberal use was made of lightweight alloys and high-strength steels, providing a stiff structure that was also lightweight enough to permit very high performance. Contemporary reports record a K6 as being capable of cruising comfortably at 80 mph, a figure that most European automobiles of the era would have been pleased to claim as a top speed. More importantly, it achieved that speed with effortless smoothness, making the K6 a perfect grand tourer. While it had a hard act to follow, replacing the car of kings, queens and movie stars, it succeeded masterfully in continuing a family tradition of carrying the world’s wealthiest, most stylish people across Europe at high speeds, within surroundings that were as luxurious, beautiful and exclusive as their homes. The K6 was an automobile that would have looked at home on the coastal routes of Cannes, and so it was that this particular chassis came there in 1935, to be dressed by a local boutique coachbuilder, Carrosserie Brandone. Remembered by his daughter as having ‘a passion for stone, wood and leather’, Etienne Brandone began his career in sculpture, later progressing to the saddle trade and finally to coachwork. Brandone’s output of coachwork was small compared to the major panel beaters of Paris, but it was no less creative. His shop gained some measure of fame for its successes in local concours, particularly for the luxurious convertibles that the local climate encouraged. This car was originally delivered to a Mr or Mrs Copley on 4 May 1935; later owners included a May from Lyons and, finally, in 1955, Madame Pierre, of 36 rue Montalant a Villeurbaume, Rhone. It then made its way to the United States, where the rear deck, top and windshield were redesigned, opening what had been a small package area behind the front seats into a full rear seat for two passengers. In this form, the Hispano was acquired by the Blackhawk Collection and then by noted French automobile collector Peter Mullin. Following a restoration, it became one of the best-known surviving examples of the K6, thanks to features in Car Collector magazine and in Dennis Adler’s book, Speed and Luxury. It was displayed at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 1986, 1991 and 1999, receiving two 2nd in Class awards and, in its final showing, the Alec Ulmann Award, representing the most exciting Hispano-Suiza present. The car, however, was not without its share of mystery, having over the years lost its identity, with its coachwork variously attributed to Letourneur et Marchand, Saoutchik, Figoni and Kellner! Following renowned American collectors Sam and Emily Mann’s acquisition of the K6 from the Mullin Collection, noted historian Andre Vaucourt was commissioned to fully research its history. Vaucourt was able to uncover original Brandone drawings of the rakish design that appear to be for this car, as well as a period photograph of the completed car in front of the Hispano-Suiza office in Bois Colombes. An article in the May 1936 issue of La Carrosserie announced the car’s receipt of the top honour, the Grand Prix d’Honneur, for the most beautiful French automobile at the L’Elegance Automobile on the Cote d’Azure, accompanied by a Madame Lartique. The car was described as having Brandone coachwork and being a ‘stunning creation, with the receding beltline emphasizing the rush of chrome and the protruding edges of ribbed wings standing out in blue over cream.’ Feeling no less enthusiastic about his purchase, and now armed with period documentation and photography showing the Hispano in its original form and properly identified, Mr Mann elected to send the K6 to the renowned firm of Stone Barn Restorations, in Vienna, New Jersey, which has the restoration of numerous concours winners to its credit. Using the reference materials that Vaucourt had uncovered, the car was once more restored, this time taking it back to its original form, exactly as it was designed in 1935. Following the restoration, the Hispano-Suiza triumphantly returned to Pebble Beach once more, completing the Pebble Beach Motoring Tour and capturing not only the Alec Ulmann Trophy for a second time, but also winning its class and being nominated for Best of Show. No less outstanding mechanically than stylistically, in 2013 it participated in the Hispano-Suiza Rally in Arizona. In 2015 it received a full engine rebuild by RM Auto Restoration, including new rings, pistons and gaskets, and a full inspection of the heads and bearings, which were found to be in excellent condition. The result is a car that is simply outstanding in every way, with exhaustive work undertaken to make it the best that it can possibly be. It is accompanied by copies of the documentation uncovered by Vaucourt, including the Cote d’Azure magazine feature, photographs of the car from the period immediately following its completion, as well as from the post-war era, and a brief history of Carrosserie Brandone. Decades have passed since Etienne Brandone’s hammers were quieted and the last K6 left Bois-Colombes. The excellence they created together endures, carrying with it a proud and now well-known heritage of concours successes spanning 80 years.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1966 Lamborghini 350 GT by Touring

One of only 120 350 GTs built, plus 23 ‘interim’ carsConfirmed matching numbers according to Lamborghini historian Olivier NamechePresented in original colours Lamborghini’s first production car, the 350 GT was the brainchild of two of Italy’s most illustrious auto designers. With an engine designed by Giotto Bizzarrini, fresh from Ferrari, and a chassis engineered by Gianpaolo Dallara, the 350 GT needed only Touring’s superleggera bodywork to be worthy of the charging bull. Offered here, chassis 0355 retains its original 3,464-cc V-12 engine. Although originally designed with dry sump lubrication and downdraft carburettors, it was clear to Lamborghini that this design was more suitable to a competition car. The solution was to detune the engine – this included replacing the oiling system with a wet sump oil pan, reducing the compression ratio, relocating the distributors and utilising conventional side draft 40 DCOE Webers. The result delivered 270 hp through a five-speed ZF gearbox, and it featured independent suspension and four-wheel power disc brakes to accomplish suitable high-speed cruising. The engines were dynamometer-tested for 24 hours before installation, first electronically, then under their own power. They were designed to withstand 40,000 miles of enthusiastic motoring, and the resulting engine proved refined and durable – the 350 GT offered here is mechanically sound and still driving as it did when it left the factory, just as Bizzarrini designed it. According to Olivier Nameche’s dating letter, chassis 0355 was completed on 3 May 1966 and brought into France by the importer, VPM. Sporting its original colour of Grigio Argento, the car has had relatively few owners and has been driven sparingly, and is in generally good condition, running and driving well. The 350 GT was an immediate success as a grand touring machine; it was quiet at speed, beautifully finished and a capable performer, with a 0–60 time of 6.8 seconds. Offered here is a chance to own a beautiful example of Lamborghini’s first production model – a true piece of motoring history.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1991 Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione I

Homologation model for Lancia’s legendary factory rally teamRace-derived 210 bhp turbocharged 2.0-litre, 16-valve four-cylinder engine Just four owners from new, in original and unmodified condition Many great road cars have been created to meet homologation requirements; the Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione is one such car. Lancia developed the Integrale for 1988 to leverage their technological developments during the Delta HF 4WD’s productive 1987 debut season. These developments included larger brakes and an updated suspension including new front springs, dampers and struts. The Integrale retained the proven 200 bhp turbocharged 2.0-litre inline four-cylinder engine that had allowed the Delta HF 4WD to dominate Group A rally. Group A homologation rules stipulated that the rally car had to be built using the underpinnings of the production cars, making those road-going cars excellent, if raw, performers on the street. In addition to featuring the cutting-edge technology found in Group A, the Delta Integrale road cars featured the same aggressive, race-derived body used by the rally cars. In 1991, Lancia issued an updated version of the Integrale, the Evoluzione. These first Evoluzione cars were to be the final homologation cars for the Lancia Rally Team. The body of the Evoluzione was radically altered to comply with the new Group A regulations and to accommodate a wider front and rear track. The wheel arches were extended and additional ventilation added to the bonnet and grille. A rear spoiler was also added to the top of the tailgate to improve airflow. Whilst retaining the four-wheel-drive layout, under the newly shaped body many changes were introduced to the brakes and suspension to increase endurance and stress tolerance. The brake callipers were fixed and featured twin pistons instead of the single piston, floating callipers used on the earlier models. Other changes included smaller yet more powerful elliptical headlights, changes to the instrumentation, a front aluminium strut brace, a larger steering box and a modified engine that produced 210 bhp. The car offered here is an excellent example of the desirable ‘pre-cat’ Integrale Evoluzione. A four-owner car specified by its first Italian owner with full Nero leather trim to match the Nero Metallic paint. The car was imported to the UK in 1998 and was accompanied by an extensive service history documenting the 98,000 km from new. This sale represents a unique opportunity to own an original and unmodified example of this rally classic in a desirable specification.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

1955 Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback Sports Saloon by H.J. Mulliner

2017 Bentley Drivers Club Concours Best in Class winnerOffered from single-family ownership since 1983Formerly owned by Victor Gauntlett; known history from newMatching-numbers factory 4.9 engine, manual transmission and lightweight seats from newExcellent condition, with a recent engine rebuild and a lovingly patinated interiorOffered with copies of factory build sheets and bespoke Continental Touring Spares box In the early 1950s, there was no other automobile quite like it in the world, which made it attractive for connoisseur heads of state, captains of industry, as well as the burgeoning jet set. James Bond drove a version he had Mulliner re-body from a wreck in the 1961 novel Thunderball. Famously, in the words of Autocar magazine, it was ‘a modern magic carpet’. In the words of modern BDC members: ‘Best car I have ever owned.’ ‘Hope to take it to Heaven with me!’ ‘Would not swap it for a thousand camels, even in the middle of the desert.’ It was the fastest four-seat production car in the world – and the most expensive – cementing its exclusivity with only 207 made. The example offered here, a well-developed ‘D’ series model of 1955, was delivered new with the most desirable features of the model, including the largest and most powerful 4.9-litre engine, manual gearbox and lightweight seats. As noted in the Bentley R-Type Continental Register, it was first allocated to London dealer H.R. Owen for the N.I.G. Manufacturing Company. This order was cancelled and the car was instead sold to P. Carrington, of H.M.F. Carrington, on 4 February 1955 and registered PXC 163. The Continental subsequently passed in 1958 to the Nibbler Paper Mill Company, then in July of that year to Douglas Cory-Wright, who would maintain it for the next 20 years. John Donner, a well-known Bentley collector, acquired the car in 1978, memorably registering it in his ownership as ‘JD 12.’ In 1982 the Continental was purchased from Mr Donner by Victor Gauntlett, the immensely successful petroleum dealer and avid automobile enthusiast, who famously helped rejuvenate Aston Martin as its chairman and main financial backer during this era. Despite his presence at the helm in Newport Pagnell during this era, Gauntlett was a Bentley partisan who owned several important vintage examples of the marque, including the prototype R-Type Continental, ‘Olga’. During his ownership, he re-registered this Continental ‘X 111’. He sold chassis number BC56D in 1983 to the brother of the current owner, and it has remained in their family now for 34 years. The car has had power steering installed and was exhibited at the Continental 50th Anniversary Celebration at Silverstone. More recently, the engine was rebuilt and electronic ignition installed, and the engine bay today presents in beautiful condition, as does the glamorous yet understated Silver Chalice finish of the bodywork. Within the car the interior has a lovely patina, with the appearance of having been driven and enjoyed – just as a Continental should look. Accompanying the car are copies of its build records, as well as its valuable original Continental Touring Spares kit and correct tools. It should also be noted that the original registration number PXC 163 has been reinstated. A lovingly maintained and desirably equipped Continental from excellent long-term care, this beautiful gentleman’s machine recently won its class at the 2017 Bentley Drivers Club Concours, continuing a two-decade-long history of success in BDC Concours. It is ideally suited for continued enjoyment, offering splendid performance and fine style in the best Bentley tradition, as a very fine example of one the greatest post-war road cars.Read more

  • GBRUnited Kingdom
  • 14d 6h

Blog posts about "RM Sotheby's"

Record-breaking sales for Porsche at RM Sotheby's
RM Sotheby's sale on 7th September, featured a record-setting single-owner Porsche collection along side their stellar lot of the sale, an Aston Martin DB4GT.
Le Mans-winning Jaguar D-Type most expensive British automobile ever be sold at auction
A Le Mans-winning Jaguar D-Type became the most expensive British automobile to ever be sold at auction, as the model reached a staggering £16.63 million ($21.78 million) at RM Sotheby's on 19th August, 2016.
Over 90 collectable cars at RM Sotheby's 18th Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance sale
RM Sotheby's, the largest collector car auction house, will be celebrating their 18th annual sale at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance on 12th with a catalogue of over 90 blue-chip collector cars.
Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster set to sell for $10 million at RM Sotheby's Arizona Biltmore auction
RM Sotheby's, the world's largest auction house for investment-quality automobiles is set to lift the gavel on some 149 hand-selected motor cars from some of the world's most iconic automotive marques when its 17th annual Arizona sale returns to Phoenix, January 28-29.
2015: A golden year for auction records
Now is the time to close the auction season for 2015, and look back on a year of incredible new records.

Realised prices "RM Sotheby's "

1929 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton
Specifications: 265 bhp, 420 cu. in. four-valves per cylinder twin overhead camshaft inline eight-cylinder, three-speed transmission, front beam axle, live rear axle, vacuum-assisted four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 142.5"\n\nThe Duesenberg Brothers and the Model J The story of Fred and August Duesenberg and E.L. Cord is among the most fascinating in automotive history. The Duesenbergs were self-taught mechanics and car builders whose careers started in the Midwest at the beginning of the twentieth century with the manufacture of cars bearing the Mason and Maytag names. Fred, the older brother by five years, was the tinkerer and designer of the pair. Augie made Fred’s ingenious and creative things work.\n\nThe Duesenbergs’ skill and creativity affected many other early American auto manufacturers. Their four-cylinder engine produced by Rochester powered half a dozen marques. Eddie Rickenbacker, Rex Mays, Peter DePaolo, Tommy Milton, Albert Guyot, Ralph DePalma, Fred Frame, Deacon Litz, Joe Russo, Stubby Stubblefield, Jimmy Murphy, Ralph Mulford and Ab Jenkins drove their racing cars.\n\nIn 15 consecutive Indianapolis 500s, starting with their first appearance in 1913, 70 Duesenbergs competed. Thirty-two – an amazing 46 percent of them – finished in the top 10. Fred and Augie became masters of supercharging and of reliability. Their engines, because engines were Fred’s specialty, were beautiful and performed on par with the best of Miller, Peugeot and Ballot. In 1921, Jimmy Murphy’s Duesenberg won the most important race on the international calendar, the French Grand Prix at Le Mans. It was the first car with hydraulic brakes to start a Grand Prix. Duesenberg backed up this performance at Indianapolis in 1922 – eight of the top 10 cars were Duesenberg powered, including Jimmy Murphy’s winner.\n\nIn 1925, Errett Lobban Cord added the Duesenberg Motors Company to his rapidly growing enterprise, the Auburn Automobile Company. Cord’s vision was to create an automobile that would surpass the great marques of Europe and America. Cadillac, Isotta Fraschini, Bugatti, Rolls-Royce and Hispano-Suiza were his targets, and Duesenberg was his chosen instrument. He presented Fred Duesenberg with the opportunity to create the greatest car in the world, and Fred obliged with the Duesenberg Model J.\n\nThe Duesenberg Model J was conceived and executed to be superlative in all aspects. Its short wheelbase chassis was 142.5 inches, nearly 12 feet. The double overhead camshaft straight eight-cylinder engine had four-valves per cylinder and displaced 420 cubic inches - it made 265. The finest materials were used throughout, and fit and finish were to toolroom standards. Each chassis was driven at speed for 100 miles at Indianapolis.\n\nThe Duesenberg Model J’s introduction on December 1, 1928 at the New York Auto Salon was front-page news. The combination of the Duesenberg reputation with the Model J’s grand concept and execution made it the star of the show and the year. Duesenberg ordered enough components to build 500 Model Js while development continued for six months after the Model J’s introduction to ensure its close approximation of perfection. The first customer delivery came in May 1929, barely five months before Black Tuesday. Unfortunately, the Model J Duesenberg lacked financing and support from E.L. Cord and the Auburn Corporation, which were both struggling to stay afloat in the decimated middle market.\n\nThe effect of the Duesenberg J on America cannot be minimized. Even in the misery of the Depression, this paragon of power illustrated the continued existence of wealth and upper class. Duesenberg’s advertising became a benchmark, featuring the wealthy and privileged in opulent surroundings with only a single line of copy: “He drives a Duesenberg.” The outside exhaust pipes inspired generations of auto designers and remain, 60 years later, a symbol of power and performance. “She’s a real Duesy,” still means a slick, quick, smooth and desirable possession of the highest quality.\n\nDuesenbergs were expensive cars, and only men or women of means could afford them. At a time when a perfectly good new family sedan could be purchased for $500 or so, a coachbuilt Duesenberg often cost $20,000 or more. If a full sized family sedan sells for $30,000 today, that is the equivalent of more than $1 million dollars now. Such extravagance was born of an era of unbridled capitalism – a time when a man with vision and ability could make - and keep - a fortune of staggering size.\n\nThese were the men who could afford the very best, and there was absolutely no doubt that when it came to automobiles, E. L. Cord’s magnificent Duesenberg was the best that money could buy.\n\nThe new Duesenberg was tailor-made for the custom body industry. It had the power and stance to carry imposing coachwork, and the style and grace of the factory sheet metal was ideally suited for the execution of elegant custom coachwork. While most of the leading coachbuilders of the day were commissioned to clothe the mighty J, many believe it was LeBaron’s interpretation of the dual cowl phaeton that became most identified with the mighty Model J.\n\nLeBaron Inc.\n\nLeBaron Carrossiers Inc. was founded in 1920 by two of the most respected names from the era of the great coachbuilders: Thomas L. Hibbard and Raymond Dietrich. Both young men worked at Brewster, probably the leading coachbuilder of the day. The pair were ambitious, and decided they wanted to try their hand at their own designs. They took to whiling away their spare time planning their new venture. Unfortunately, Brewster got wind of the plan, and fired them both.\n\nUnexpectedly forced to set up shop, they settled on a location and a name. The location – 2 Columbus Circle, New York City – was more than they could afford, but they decided it was essential to their image. Coincidentally, it was also home to Fleetwood’s design offices.\n\nThey chose the LeBaron name because it sounded French – and would lend a sophisticated air to their firm. Most interesting was that they chose to have only a design office, without coachbuilding facilities. Not only was this practical – they had no coachbuilding skills – but it allowed them to work independently from (and with) both chassis manufacturers and coachbuilding firms.\n\nWork began to flow, and soon the pair were approached by Ralph Roberts, who knew Dietrich before he had gone to Brewster. Roberts wanted to design cars, and when he applied for a job, Hibbard and Dietrich liked him enough that they offered him a full one-third partnership – on the provision that he serve as the firm’s business manager.\n\nHibbard wanted very much to work in France, and in 1923, he left for Paris to look into establishing an office there for LeBaron Carrossiers. While in Paris he met another American designer, Howard “Dutch” Darrin. The two hit it off, and decided to start their own company, Hibbard & Darrin. Hibbard sold his shares in LeBaron to Roberts and Dietrich, and moved to Paris.\n\nMeanwhile, back at 2 Columbus Circle, LeBaron’s reputation was growing quickly, although the partners weren’t making a lot of money. As a result, in 1923, when Roberts and Dietrich were approached by Charles Seward and James Hinman, owners of the Bridgeport Body Company, they quickly made a deal to swap shares, and the new firm became simply known as LeBaron Inc. The idea was that LeBaron would give Bridgeport a design office, while Bridgeport gave the design team control over the body making process, as well as a share in the profits.\n\nAt this point, LeBaron hired Werner Gubitz and Roland Stickney as draftsmen, designers, and illustrators. Dietrich continued as chief designer, while Roberts managed the business.\n\nBefore long, another opportunity presented itself. Dietrich had formed a friendship with Edsel Ford that had lead to a very lucrative business opportunity for the firm designing bodies for Lincoln chassis. Edsel was so pleased with the relationship that he made a proposal to Dietrich to leave LeBaron to join Murray. There they formed a new company, Dietrich Inc., jointly owned by Dietrich and Murray, and in return, Murray set Dietrich up with his own body building facilities. He sold his shares to Roberts, Seward, and Hinman.\n\nLeBaron, meanwhile, continued to prosper, even after the loss of its two founders. Ralph Roberts proved to have a good eye for design and excellent rapport with LeBaron’s clients. He and Stickney made a great team, with Stickney refining and implementing Roberts’ ideas.\n\nIn 1927, LeBaron was acquired by Briggs, one of Detroit’s largest body building firms. LeBaron was ideally positioned to take advantage of the burgeoning demand for coachbuilt bodies that developed in the late 1920s. In fact, the firm survived the onset of the Great Depression (likely as a result of the support of Briggs), and produced some of its best work in the early to mid-1930s.\n\nLeBaron’s bodies have stood the test of time, their classic elegance and tasteful embellishment distinguishing them among the most coveted coachwork on these great chassis. In an era of great designers and coachbuilders, the Model J LeBaron dual cowl phaeton has become an icon, recognized almost anywhere. J149 is an early car, the sixth of just 25 examples built, and one of just 13 believed to survive today.\n\nWilliam C. (Billy) Van Horne\n\nBilly Van Horne was Canada’s first (and only) Duesenberg dealer, although it was his grandfather, William Cornelius Van Horne, who first made his mark in Canadian history as the driving force behind the construction of the first cross-Canada rail link when he pounded in the final gold spike at the point where westbound and eastbound construction met. As President of the Canadian Pacific companies, he also established the nationwide chain of elegant luxury hotels in places such as Banff, Lake Louise, Vancouver, Victoria, and Toronto. He also established the legendary CP Express shipping line that offered regular and reliable service from Canada to the Orient.\n\nBilly Van Horne bought J149 new in 1929. He had negotiated the Canadian distribution rights for the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Company, and opened showrooms in Toronto and Montreal. Reportedly, business was not good, and ultimately he bought just three cars for the Canadian market. (The other two were J103/2127, a Holbrook limousine whose second owner installed a LeBaron Convertible Berline, and J193/2214, a Murphy Convertible Sedan.)\n\nHistorians believe that Van Horne found sales so slow that he used each one as his personal transportation for a period of time before selling them, probably as “demonstrators”. He kept J149 for a year or so before selling it to Mrs. Jessie Dunlap, a wealthy widow.\n\nThe Dunlap Family – A Canadian Mining Fortune\n\nDavid Dunlap was a lawyer in Cobalt, Ontario when a railway worker named Fred La Rose threw his axe at an approaching fox, but missed the animal, instead hitting a large rock which split open, revealing a vein of silver ore, to which he promptly staked a claim. Dunlap and two local businessmen, Henry and Noah Timmins, bought La Rose’s mine and developed it, expanding rapidly and purchasing other gold and silver claims. In 1901, they bought Hollinger mines, and before long were amongst the richest men in Canada.\n\nDavid Dunlap died in 1924, leaving his considerable fortune to his widow, Jessie Dunlap. In 1930, she bought the car as a wedding present for her son Moffat, for the princely sum of $18,000.\n\nMoffat, a student at the time, kept the car for another two years before trading it to Van Horne’s Toronto Auburn Cord dealership, O’Donnell Mackie, on a brand new Cord. When Billy Van Horne learned that the car had been traded back, he bought it himself. He kept the car until his death in 1946, at which point it was sold by Van Horne’s widow to Louis Dagenais of Montreal, who immediately resold it to Dr. Raymond Boyer.\n\nProfessor Raymond Boyer: The Canadian Spy Scandal\n\nIn the immediate postwar era, a scandal of unprecedented proportions was brewing in Canada. The largest network of spies in the history of the country was about to be arrested – and the ringleader was no less than Fred Rose, the only sitting Member of Parliament representing the Communist Party of Canada. Arrested in the middle of the night by RCMP agents, he was arraigned on grave charges that he “did unlawfully, for purposes prejudicial to the safety . . . of Canada, obtain, collect, record, publish and communicate to other persons, sketches, plans, models, articles, notes and other documents and information . . . intended to be useful to the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.”\n\nOne of Rose’s key collaborators was Dr. Raymond Boyer, a professor of chemistry at McGill University who had worked on a super-explosive known as “R.D.X.”. Later convicted and jailed for espionage, he gave the Duesenberg to his son, Major Guy Boyer. Boyer kept J149 for six years before he sold it to Captain John Dart.\n\nCaptain John Dart, Pioneer Aviator\n\nJohn Dart was born and raised in Indianapolis, and lived not far from the Duesenberg factory. He and his friends would stop by after school, peering through windows, and dreaming of the day when they could afford their own Duesenberg – John resolved that he would one day do so.\n\nIn the meantime, John earned his pilot’s license in 1939, followed by his commercial rating and engineer’s ratings for both airframes and engines. In 1943, he became one of the first pilots hired by what would become one of Canada’s two major airlines. Dart remained with CP Air almost from its inception in 1942 until he retired in 1973.\n\nMeanwhile, Dart purchased J149 for $1,000 in 1951. At some point, the rear of the car was the victim of an ill-advised attempt at modernization; in addition, the Duesenberg had suffered an accident that damaged the right side of the car. As a result, when Captain Dart bought the car, he knew he was undertaking a significant restoration, although he had no idea it would be more than fifty years before it would be completed!\n\nOver the next 17 years, Captain Dart remained with CP Air, relocating from Montreal to Vancouver and back (twice!), then to Woodstock, Ontario, where he met Harry Sherry, a noted restorer based in Warsaw, Ontario. In 1982, Harry began the restoration of the car, but progress was slow as his shop was busy with other work, and Dart sent him money periodically to continue the work. Finally, by 2001, Dart’s sons John Jr. and Peter, got involved in the project and helped underwrite the cost of completion. The completed car was delivered to Captain Dart and his two sons in November, 2003.\n\nSummary\n\nToday, J149 stands as an exceptional example of the marque. It has a known and continuous history since new, and has been cared for by a handful of owners during its 78 year history. Not counting dealers and brokers, J149 has had just five owners since new, all fascinating men: Gold miner, Billy Van Horne; Moffatt Dunlap, the newlywed mining heir; Canadian spy, Professor Boyer, and his son Major Guy Boyer; and finally, one of Canada’s pioneering airline captains, John Dart.\n\nIt has only had one high quality restoration – completed to the highest standards just four years ago. J149/2174 is also one of the most original surviving Duesenbergs – not only does it retain its original body, but no major components have ever been changed. It is virtually an unknown car, having never been shown at Pebble Beach, Amelia Island or Meadow Brook, nor for that matter, has it been seen outside of Canada since new.\n\nAny collector car of this era can be regarded as a piece of automotive history. Very few can boast a roster of owners who were, without exception, fascinating characters – each in his own time and place. There may be twelve other LeBaron dual cowl phaetons, but could there be any more fascinating than J149?\n\nChassis no. 2174 RM Sotheby's
1947 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette
144 bhp, 320 cu. in. inline eight-cylinder engine, single-barrel carburetor, three-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 129"\n\nThe Roadmaster, first introduced in 1936, continued in production until 1958, and represented the pinnacle of Buick design and engineering. While the 1947 Roadmaster was still based on the prewar design, buyer demand remained strong in the postwar seller’s market. The robust “Fireball Dynaflash” inline eight-cylinder engine, mated to a three-speed manual gearbox, powered the Roadmaster, which was available in coupe, sedan, convertible and station wagon models. The Roadmaster was recognized as a clear expression of its owner’s upward mobility, and nearly 79,000 buyers gladly paid $2,131 or more for the privilege in 1947.\n\nArt Astor’s Roadmaster is finished in a handsome two-tone grey color combination that remains in very good condition, with only minor imperfections visible upon close examination. Exterior features include a spotlight, a driver’s side mirror, bumper guards, chrome stone guards, wide whitewall tires and painted steel wheels with chrome wheel covers and trim rings. The interior gray cloth upholstery may be original or from an older restoration, however there is no doubt that the rest of the interior has been restored. Passenger amenities include a clock, heater, defroster and a Sonomatic radio. The engine, engine bay and undercarriage are also period correct and remarkable in their presentation.\n\nThis 1947 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette is a handsome example of General Motors’ postwar “torpedo” styling, and “drives like a dream”, in the words of Art Astor. It will continue to exemplify the styling and engineering that propelled Buick to consistent sales increases throughout the late 1940s and 1950s, and is sure to please its next owner.\n\nChassis no. 48066417 RM Sotheby's
Radios
1927 RCA Radiola 100, original, unrestored; 1922 Magnavox R3-B, with 6-volt coil to boost volume. RM Sotheby's
1940 Packard Super Eight One Sixty Convertible Sedan
Model 1803. 160 bhp, 356 cu. in. inline L-head eight-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission with overdrive, coil-spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 127 in.\n\nOffered from the Estate of John M. O’Quinn\nRare, late pre-war convertible sedan\nFormerly owned by noted Packard collector Tom Mix\n\nAs Packard debuted the 1939 models in September 1938, it was clear that lessons had been learned from the popularity of the lower-priced One Twenty and six-cylinder series. Although the mighty Twelve still graced the top of the catalogue, its understudy, the venerable Super Eight, was leaner, lighter, and less expensive. Included were a couple of features from the junior Packards, such as a column-shift transmission and optional overdrive. Sales nearly doubled.\n\nFor 1940, the transformation continued. The Twelve was gone, its place taken by a Custom Super Eight One Eighty, while the Super Eight One Sixty continued to hold the center of the catalogue. Nine body styles were offered, up from six the year before, on wheelbases of 127, 138, or 148 inches. The catalogue custom cars, an all-weather cabriolet and town car by Rollston, and a convertible victoria and sport sedan from Darrin were reserved for the One Eighty series, with the One Sixty receiving all Packard-built bodies. The flagship of the One Sixty line was the five-passenger convertible sedan, body style 1377. A handsome yet compact car, it weighed in at nearly 4,000 pounds and was priced at $2,050.\n\nIf the size of the cars was leaner, the engine was not. One Sixtys and One Eightys shared a newly revised eight of 356 cubic inches; a powerplant destined to last for a decade. With 36 more cubic inches than its predecessor, 6.45:1 compression, and aluminum pistons, it developed 160 brake horsepower, and the hydraulic valve lifters made for silent operation.\n\nFormerly in the collection of the late Tom Mix, the Massachusetts Packard aficionado and founder of Foreign Motors West in Boston, this Packard Super Eight Convertible Sedan is a Boston original that was delivered by the Turner Packard agency there. It was acquired by Mr. O’Quinn in 2005. The recipient of a frame-off restoration in the mid-1990s, the car has a cream leather interior, a radio and heater, and the desirable overdrive option, as well as chrome wire wheels with Packard hexagon hubcaps and wide whitewall tires. The tan canvas top has a matching boot cover.\n\nThe Packard Convertible Sedan was nearing its sunset in 1940. For 1941, just a few would be built in the One Twenty and One Sixty series, after which the model was gone forever. This car presents a chance to acquire a rare and desirable Packard.\n\nVehicle no. 1377-2126 RM Sotheby's
1932 Ford Tudor Custom Sedan
Est. 375 bhp, 350 cu. in. Chevrolet V8 engine with Moon EFI throttle-body fuel injection, dropped solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with transverse leaf spring, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 106"\n\n- Perfect modern interpretation of the “Deuce”\n- Aggressive “hot rod” stance, comfortable interior\n- Chevrolet V8, Moon EFI, GM 700R4 automatic overdrive\n- Beautifully trimmed interior, A/C and more\n\nNearly 80 years after its introduction, the 1932 Ford remains a true American cultural phenomenon that shows no signs of fading away. The 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan featured here displays a very attractive “restification” by The Hot Rod Garage of Denton, Maryland, completed approximately four years ago. With its classic bodylines left intact, the Tudor features a chopped and filled roof with louvered hood side panels, bathed in a rich Cinnamon Metallic paint finish. The hot rod stance comes courtesy of a dropped front axle and a set of “big ’n little” polished Halibrand-style wheels, with B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A tires.\n\nUnderhood, the highly detailed 350-cubic inch Chevrolet crate motor is topped with a Moon EFI fuel injection unit that includes machined throttle bodies duplicating the appearance of period Stromberg “97” carburetors. In addition, the jet-coated tubular exhaust headers add an additional dose of performance.\n\nWith style and performance covered, a modern GM Turbo Hydra-Matic 700R4 automatic overdrive transmission, Vintage Air and a Sony 460-watt stereo system provide comfortable cruising, while vital functions are monitored by a set of gauges by Classic Instruments mounted within an engine-turned insert panel. The stunning interior also features a 1940 Ford two-spoke steering wheel and a pair of Ferrari front seats, which are trimmed in beige leather upholstery, as are the highly detailed door panels and kick panels. From its expert construction to its fine bodylines and subtle details, this 1932 Ford Tudor represents the perfect blend of classic hot rod style, drivability and modern technology.\n\nPlease note that due to the extensive mechanical and cosmetic alteration of this vehicle, it is titled as a 2006 Special Construction. As such, it can only be purchased by a dealer or out-of-state buyer. Addendum Please note that due to the extensive mechanical and cosmetic alteration of this vehicle, it is titled as a 2006 Special Construction. As such, it can only be purchased by a dealer or out-of-state buyer.\n\nChassis no. SW119909PA RM Sotheby's
RM Sotheby's has 87 objects in the categories.

Find address and telephone number to RM Sotheby's

Canada
One Classic Car Drive
Blenheim, Ontario
N0P 1A0 Canada
T: +1 519 352 4575
United Kingdom
46a Carnaby Street
London,
W1F 9PS United Kingdom
T: +44 (0) 20 7851 7070
India
5536 County Rd. 11A
Auburn, Indiana
46706 United States
T: +1 260 927 9797
California, USA
9510 West Jefferson Boulevard
Culver City, California
90232 United States
T: +1 310 559 4575
Germany
Dorotheenstr. 65C
22301 Hamburg,
Germany
T: +49 (0) 40 441 95 737
Florida
7668 SW Jack James Drive
Stuart, Florida
34997 United States
T: +1 954 566 2209
Advert