Gooding & Company

Gooding and Co. is considered the leading automotive auction house in the world not only due to its vast global connections and buyers, but also to the professional and high quality personal service its automotive and marketing experts offer to customers. Gooding and Co. make sure to build strong relationships with their automobile vendors in order to satisfy future desires for their cars. 

Countries
  • USA
Objects "Gooding & Company"

1956 Deutsch-Bonnet HBR5

Deutsch-Bonnet is best known today among vintage race aficionados, having garnered a reputation as a strong track competitor in the postwar years. Named after partners Charles Deutsch and René Bonnet, this French marque made its name by producing lightweight race cars that competed at Le Mans and in the Mille Miglia. By the mid-1950s, buoyed by race experience, the company’s efforts turned toward road-going gran turismos like this example. Carrying a lightweight fiberglass body, the diminutive HBR5 weighed about 1,400 lbs. and when coupled with its two-cylinder, four-cycle engine producing approximately 65 BHP, it was a capable performer, on or off the track. This HBR5 was originally purchased by designer Brooks Stevens and he retained it for 40 years. During Mr. Stevens’ ownership, it was piloted by Guy Storr and Hal Ullrich at the 1957 12 Hours of Sebring, sharing the track with the likes of Juan Manuel Fangio, Stirling Moss, Briggs Cunningham, and Carroll Shelby. Unfortunately, it failed to finish due to an engine issue. Additional racing credibility was earned at Watkins Glen, New York, with François Crouzet at the wheel. Finished in dark French blue as originally delivered, it is a worthy candidate for all manner of vintage racing events. Opportunities to acquire a Deutsch-Bonnet are rare, and even more so for an example with noteworthy ownership and racing history such as this. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

2015 Porsche 918 Spyder

First shown as a concept at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show, the 918 Spyder combined classic Porsche virtues with leading-edge technical capability. It featured an innovative hybrid drivetrain that promised to impart otherworldly performance with low fuel consumption and long electric range. The 918 Spyder was met with a rapturous reception from media and enthusiasts, and a production model debuted at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show, with 918 examples rolling off the assembly line in Stuttgart- Zuffenhausen during a short 21-month production run ending in June 2015. Inspired by historic Porsche racing cars, the 918’s Michael Mauer-designed bodywork was predominantly crafted from carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) and defined by a sloped nose, exhaust pipes exiting from the rear deck lid, and detachable roof panels that opened up the cabin to the elements. The driver-focused cockpit was swathed in leather, aluminum, and carbon fiber, and dominated by an ultra-modern console. The 918’s monocoque chassis and subframe were made from CFRP for extreme torsional rigidity and lightweight construction. Featuring a double-wishbone axle in front and multi-link arrangement in the rear, the suspension was complemented by a speed-sensitive rear-axle steering system that could steer the rear wheels in the opposite direction at low speeds for more precise turning, while at higher speeds steering the rear wheels in the same direction as the front for enhanced stability. Derived from the famed RS Spyder endurance racer, the 4.6-liter V-8 used a carbon reinforced polymer dry sump lubrication system. It was fitted with titanium connecting rods; thin-wall, low-pressure casting on the crankcase and the cylinder heads; a high-strength, lightweight steel crankshaft; and a thin-walled exhaust system. For optimal driving dynamics, the drivetrain and any other major components were carefully positioned within the chassis structure to create a very low center of gravity. Developing 608 hp at 8,700 rpm, the V-8 worked in tandem with two electric motors mounted to the front and rear axles that could recuperate energy from the ceramic composite disc brakes and send it back to the battery, providing additional power. Connected to Porsche’s seven-speed Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, the sophisticated plug-in hybrid system combined for a total maximum system output of 887 hp and 940 lbs./ft. of torque. Furthermore, the car could be run solely on electric power, with a maximum range of 19 miles. The 918 received much acclaim for its maximum performance with minimum consumption, with Porsche providing performance figures of 0–60 mph in 2.5 seconds, 0–120 mph in 7.2 seconds, and a top speed of 217 mph. Independent tests proved the 918 even quicker, with Car and Driver recording 0–60 mph in just 2.2 seconds in August 2014, then the quickest car the magazine had tested. This particular 918 Spyder is one of 294 allocated for the US and was delivered new to the Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, Illinois. Finished in the stunning, one-of-one color combination of Guards Red over Garnet Red leather upholstery with silver piping, this 918 was additionally specified with many desirable options including the front-axle lift system, glarereducing and carbon fiber interior package, side mirrors and rear wing finished in carbon fiber, carbon floor mats with silver piping, seat belts with silver accent stripes, and lastly a “special wishes” custom tailoring option that added even more individuality to an already special car. Accompanied by its original delivery accessories including its window sticker, books, covers, and battery charging kit, this extraordinary 918 Spyder has been driven less than 100 miles from new. Combining supercar capabilities and state-of-the-art efficiency, the Porsche 918 Spyder illustrated the potential of plug-in hybrid technology – not just for economical driving, but also for the pure, sports car driving experience it could deliver. Remaining in showroom condition throughout, this uniquely specified Porsche must be among the lowest-mileage examples available, and it offers an exceptionally rare opportunity for the collector seeking a landmark car that set cornerstones for the future. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1985 Audi Quattro

When World Rally Championship rules allowed four-wheel drive, Audi took advantage, introducing the groundbreaking Quattro in 1980. It dominated international competition for nearly a decade, and a desirable early run of street cars followed, known as “Ur-Quattros.” Displaying less than 32,000 miles, this example has led a distinguished life. The current owner of 18 years, the former general manager and principal of an Audi dealership, is a devoted Ur-Quattro collector, having owned seven. He states that the car remains almost completely original, including paint and interior, and that it was Audi of America’s show car and a display model in the SCCA World Challenge series. During the mid-1980s, Audi of America gave this Quattro to German motor sports legend Jo Hoppen, its race team’s manager, according to a letter in the file from Shokan Coachworks’ John Smith. A Quattro enthusiast and Hoppen’s friend, Mr. Smith states that it was then owned by Steve Beiser, whose team prepared the SCCA World Challenge series Quattros. A letter from previous owner Gerald R. Bouchal, who purchased it from Mr. Beiser, said: “The car itself was the ‘show car’ which received all the trick pieces that the race cars had but was not used for competition purposes.” Mr. Bouchal noted the car included a balanced, blueprinted engine with performance camshafts and turbocharger. Meticulously preserved, this Quattro represents an unrepeatable opportunity to acquire one of the most original, and most significant, Ur-Quattros in existence. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing

PROVENANCE Carlos Kauffmann, Caracas, Venezuela (acquired in 1956) Joseph C. Overby, Chicago, Illinois (acquired in 1969) Merrick W. Leckey, Laguna Niguel, California (acquired from the above in 1971) Dr. Michael Liu, Salem, Oregon (acquired from the above by 2005) Current Owner (acquired from the above) EXHIBITED Newport Beach Concours d’Elegance, Newport Coast, California, circa 1999 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance, Forest Grove, Oregon, April 2006 (Best in Class, Best of Show) THIS CAR As production wound down for the legendary 300 SL Gullwing, just 311 examples were built in its penultimate year of 1956. This beautifully restored Mercedes-Benz testifies to the model’s reputation as one of the most timeless designs. According to the research of a prior owner, chassis 6500174 was assembled as Kommission no. 805864, under special order from the company’s Venezuelan distributorship on behalf of Carlos Kauffmann, who was the Latin American sales agent for Ferrari, Maserati, and Fiat. Mr. Kauffmann ordered the Gullwing for a customer who intended to enter the car in a local race called the Tres Arroyos. With competition in mind, the Gullwing was equipped with a taller 3.42:1 final-drive ratio for increased top speed. The engine was also factory-tuned to the highest possible degree of ignition advance for a production 300 SL at the time. Finished in white paint with a red leatherette interior, the Mercedes-Benz was equipped with metric instruments, a Becker AM/FM radio with a Hirschmann automatic power antenna, and a windshield washing system. The wheels were mounted with Continental racing tires, as confirmed by a factory certificate of authenticity. Completing assembly in June 1956, the Gullwing was shipped a month later to the port of La Guaira, Venezuela, and delivered to Mr. Kauffmann. For reasons unknown, the original purchase by the racing customer was canceled, and Mr. Kauffmann proceeded to sell the Gullwing back into European ownership, quickly finding a buyer in Italy. The 300 SL is believed to have remained there through the 1960s before being acquired by Joseph Overby of Chicago, who apparently retained possession only a few years before selling the car to Merrick Leckey of Laguna Niguel, California. A substantial file of service and restoration invoices confirms that Mr. Leckey was committed to the refurbishment of the handsome Gullwing. He entrusted the car’s service to the marque experts at Hjeltness Restoration in Escondido, California, who, in addition to regular maintenance during the 1990s, installed a desirable NSL high-performance camshaft and a commensurately calibrated fuel pump and metering unit. Mr. Leckey also changed the color combination, opting for a silver metallic finish complemented by a dark blue leather interior. A color-matched luggage set for the rear shelf was sourced and fitted, completing the Gullwing’s sensational appearance. In the late 1990s, the car was then presented at the Newport Beach Concours d’Elegance. By 2005, the 300 SL was sold to Dr. Michael Liu of Salem, Oregon, and hesourced a factory Zertifikat (Daimler-Benz’s certificate of authenticity), demonstrating the precise build date and equipment with an officially signed binder. Liu went on to display the Gullwing at local events such as the 2006 Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance (where it reportedly garnered both a class award and Best of Show) and the grand opening of a new marque dealership in 2013. Hjeltness continued to address mechanical needs during this time, rebuilding the transmission and fuel pump, and installing a new master cylinder. Reportedly, this 300 SL was driven minimally after the restoration, accruing approximately 100 km before being sold in the early 2010s. In June 2014, the car was fitted with new Vredestein Classic tires, and in May 2016, the brake shoes and wheel cylinders were recalibrated, and a new battery was installed. It retains period-correct details and is accompanied by manuals and tools. The paint exhibits a resplendent shine, and the detailed engine bay is further distinguished by a polished finish on the intake manifold. This beautiful 300 SL would make a fantastic candidate for display at premium concours d’elegance, or it may be enjoyed on touring events, where its timeless design and stout performance promise rare thrills. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1968 Mercedes-Benz 250 SL

This distinctive 250 SL was sold new through Turnbull & Gamble Mercedes-Benz in Oxnard, California, in November 1967. Its first owner, local resident Dr. Daniel M. Tolmach, retained it for over 25 years, according to the consignor. The Mercedes was specified in the rare hardtop-only configuration as designated by “415” on its Mercedes-Benz data card. It was finished in the handsome color combination of Grey Beige with a contrasting Dark Green hardtop, and Green MB-Tex interior. It was also fitted with the rear jump seat and desirable four-speed manual gearbox. The 250 SL is believed by the consignor to wear the majority of its factory applied finishes. The consignor also states that it retains its fender notches, spot welds, decals, tags, matching date-coded wheels, and all body number stampings. Its original service booklet lists dealer services until 15,000 miles ago and maintenance records thereafter include a service and inspection in fall 2017 by Pagoda specialist Gus Kidonakis of Beverly Hill Motors in Houston. This unrestored and uniquely optioned example is complete with its original metal warranty plate, manuals in their proper pouch, tool roll, jack, and emergency accessories. Offering the best of German engineering coupled with the glamour of 1960s motoring, this 250 SL is a fantastic representation of an iconic, well-rounded, and highly usable design. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1949 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet

PROVENANCE M.L. “Bud” Cohn, Los Angeles, California (acquired in 1957) Lenora Pope Lytle, San Diego, California (acquired from the above circa 1966) William Pope Huston, San Diego, California (acquired from the above in 1982) John L. Butterfield, Santa Barbara, California (acquired from the above in 1992) Rob Wilkinson, Santa Barbara, California (acquired from the above in 1993) Current Owner (acquired from the above) EXHIBITED Le Cercle Concours d’Elegance, Wonderful World of Cars, 1968 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, August 2011 THIS CAR When this Delahaye 135M, chassis 801472, rolled out of the Carrosserie Franay works in 1949, it was clad in a unique one-off cabriolet body by one of the foremost coachbuilders in France, a costly exercise that few Europeans could afford in the years following WWII. The Franay Cabriolet was a manifestation of the kind of hand-built elegance that would soon recede into history along with the entirety of the French coachbuilding industry. Little is known about this Delahaye’s earliest history in France; however, by 1957, it had been acquired by the famed early car collector M.L. “Bud” Cohn of Los Angeles. He kept the Franay Cabriolet until around 1966, when he sold it to his close friend, Lenora Pope Lytle, a descendent of the Pope automobile manufacturing family. Records on file indicate that the Delahaye participated in various classic car events throughout Southern California during her ownership, including the Le Cercle Concours d’Elegance and San Diego Region AACA gatherings. When Ms. Lytle passed in 1982, title was transferred to William Pope Huston of San Diego, who was executor of her estate, and the rare Delahaye was placed in careful storage. In 1992, John L. Butterfield, grandson of Lenora, convinced his uncle to part with the car, as he wanted to show it in local events. William Pope Huston gave the 135M Cabriolet to his nephew, but the car remained in storage for another 19 years. After a careful mechanical recommissioning was undertaken, this elusive Franay convertible made a sensational return to the show field as part of the Postwar Preservation Class at the 2011 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®. More recently, the 135M Cabriolet was sold to the current owner, a gentleman with a passion for original, unrestored automobiles. Today, this elegant Franay-bodied 135M presents in a stunning state of preservation, and it is believed that the car retains much of its original paint finish, interior upholstery, and chrome. No comprehensive restoration work has been undertaken, and the level of originality and authenticity is astonishing. The even patina that is visible across the car is striking and lends an aura of history and purity that is possessed by only a few great cars that have survived in fundamentally original order. In addition, this Delahaye’s history is particularly well documented, with a comprehensive dossier accompanying the sale. For the past 60 years, Southern California collectors have dutifully maintained this handsome coachbuilt Delahaye, preserving it for future generations. This is a unique opportunity to acquire what is surely one of the last Franay-bodied classics remaining in fine, unrestored condition. In light of its fascinating history and impressive presentation, this 135M Cabriolet would be welcome at international concours d’elegance and is sure to be a standout at any gathering of important French automobiles. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet

After a seven-year hiatus, Porsche revived the famous Carrera nameplate in 1984 with the 911 Carrera 3.2. Produced until 1989, the Carrera 3.2 was an evolution of its predecessor, the SC, and marked the final development of the classic 911 originating in 1963. While similar in appearance to the outgoing SC, the Carrera featured a 3.2-liter flat-six that included electronic fuel injection, more reliable oil-pressure-fed timing chain tensioners, and, beginning with the 1987 production year, the desirable and smoother-shifting G50 transaxle. The interior was further refined with a revised ventilation system and more comfortable seats. Completed on November 16, 1987, this Carrera Cabriolet still wears its striking original black paint with a black canvas folding power top and boot over a special Lipstick Red leather interior. According to its accompanying Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, among the many factory options selected for this car are a limited-slip differential, steering wheel with raised hub, forged alloy wheels, front and rear spoilers, cruise control, and Blaupunkt radio, all of which are still accounted for today, as are its original manuals, tool kit, spare tire, and jack. Showing less than 19,500 miles on the odometer, and stated to have been regularly maintained, this ideally specified, time capsule Carrera Cabriolet is so well kept that it is an opportunity not to be missed. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1952 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe

Introduced as a showcase for Jaguar’s new XK engine, the XK120 in roadster form was a hit at the 1948 London Motor Show and convinced company founder William Lyons to build the car in volume. Produced from 1948 to 1954, the XK120 raised comfort and roadholding standards for British sports cars, as well as setting multiple speed and endurance records. Advanced for the time, the 3.4-litre DOHC inline six-cylinder developed 160 bhp, and delivered a genuine 120 mph top speed. Outstanding handling came courtesy of a lightweight frame, a front independent suspension, rear semi-elliptical leaf springs, and drum brakes at all corners. In 1951, a fixed head coupe variant was added that offered additional luxury and streamlined styling. According to its Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust certificate, this elegant XK120 Fixed Head Coupe was originally finished in Silver over Red upholstery and was delivered through Hornburg Jaguar Los Angeles to its first owner. Repainted in its present attractive Midnight Blue, this XK120 retains the original engine referenced in the JDHT and is accompanied by reproduction books, tools, and jack. Currently displaying just over 27,000 miles, this example received recent attention to its fuel pumps, brakes, and gearbox under the care of its current owner. Ahead of its competitors in terms of performance, design, and engineering, this XK120 is ready to provide enjoyment well into the future and is eligible for a multitude of vintage touring and concours events. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1955 Porsche 356 Speedster

PROVENANCE David and Kathy Ann Cowell, Sierra Madre, California J.R. Oldham, Sierra Madre, California (acquired from the above circa 1975) Current Owner (acquired from the above in 1982) THIS CAR The brainchild of Max Hoffman, the legendary American distributor for Porsche, the 356 Speedster was a purpose-built machine intended to compete with inexpensive English sports cars from MG, Austin-Healey, and Triumph. Compared with the 356 Cabriolet it was based on, the Speedster was stripped down to save cost and weight, and featured a low, removable windshield, lightweight bucket seats, and a rudimentary folding top with side curtains. With a base price of $2,995, the Speedster was both a club-racing contender and a sales success. While the early history of this example is not well documented, it is believed the car left the Porsche factory in Stuttgart finished in White complemented by a black vinyl top over a red leatherette interior. David and Kathy Ann Cowell of Sierra Madre, California, purchased this Speedster from who is believed to be its first owner. Around 1975 they signed the car over to Kathy Ann’s father, J.R. Oldham, who placed it in his home’s garage. The history picks up again in September 1982, when the current owner, acting upon a tip from a local bartender, acquired the Speedster from Oldham and again put it into storage, where it has remained ever since. According to an expired registration card, the Speedster was last licensed for the road in 1976. While some corrosion and dents are present today, the consignor believes this Speedster is largely original and has never been taken apart for restoration. Now trimmed in Pale Yellow over a black interior, the body appears very straight with excellent door gaps. Inside, one finds a nearly complete interior with a number of interesting period accessories, including a Telefunken radio. The engine compartment appears largely untouched, and although the car is believed not to have been started in at least 35 years, the Type 546/2 1.5-liter flat four-cylinder engine is stated to turn freely. Just 1,233 examples of the original Pre-A Speedster were produced in 1954 and 1955, with far fewer surviving today. This example, accompanied by additional parts and spares, is in remarkably complete condition and is being offered from more than 40 years of continuous storage with no apparent attempts to recommission the car. As such, this is a rare opportunity to purchase a first-of-the-line Porsche Speedster that presents an excellent base for a concours-level restoration. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1999 Ferrari 456M GT

Blending refinement, comfort, and practicality, the 456 GT launched in 1992 and assumed Ferrari’s vacant 2+2 GT mantle. Designed by longtime collaborator Pininfarina, the classically proportioned 456 gave up little in terms of performance and handling to its mid-engine stablemates. A new 5.5-liter V-12 was coupled with a six-speed manual transaxle, while a four-speed automatic was available. Power was impressive at 436 bhp, and the car had a top speed of over 180 mph. In 1998, the revised 456M GT was unveiled, which boasted a variety of styling and mechanical updates. In all, only 1,338 examples of the improved 456M GT were built, of which just 688 were equipped with a six-speed manual gearbox. Finished in elegant Rosso Barchetta over a Tan leather interior, and equipped with the six-speed manual gearbox, this Ferrari 456M GT presents extremely well in all respects. After being delivered new on April 29, 1999, to Continental Motors of Hinsdale, Illinois, this 456M accrued little mileage while receiving regular attention. Detailed invoices from specialist Bobileff Motorcar Company in San Diego supplement the car’s history file and attest to a major service performed in August 2016 during which fluids were flushed and filters, battery, and timing belts were replaced. Showing less than 13,500 miles today, and accompanied by its books, tools, tire inflator, and car cover, this 456M GT is a superb example that can be enjoyed as a high-speed grand tourer, just as Ferrari originally intended. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1965 Lamborghini 350 GT

PROVENANCE Jack Kellam, Dallas, Texas (acquired by 1987) Andy Chan, Hong Kong (acquired from the above in 1989) Private Collector, Arizona (acquired in 2012) Current Owner (acquired from the above) LITERATURE Ken Gross, Road & Track, 1987, “Pugnacious Premiere” THIS CAR Over the past half-century, the Lamborghini marque and its factory, based in provincial Sant’Agata Bolognese, have earned their status as automotive legends. In the early 1960s, successful industrialist Ferruccio Lamborghini began to manufacture his own line of high-performance GT cars, having been disappointed by the offerings from Ferrari and Maserati. He assembled a brilliant young team that included stylist Franco Scaglione and engineers Giotto Bizzarrini, Paolo Stanzani, and Gian Paolo Dallara. Lamborghini later hired test driver Bob Wallace and enlisted the expert services of the Neri & Bonacini workshop. In fall 1962, development of the first Lamborghini automobile began in earnest. In a matter of months, Lamborghini had designed and built its first automobile, the one-of-a-kind 350 GTV. It was the sensation of the 1963 Torino Motor Show and provided an ideal starting point from which to develop a production car. The first production model was christened 350 GT and featured high-quality Superleggera coachwork by Touring of Milan, fashioned from lightweight alloy panels. Elegant one-piece ovoid headlamps replaced the GTV’s retractable units, and sidedraft Weber carburetors reduced the height of the engine, allowing for a lower hood line. Like the GTV, the 350 GT featured a robust square-tube chassis, utilizing a fully independent wishbone suspension, Girling disc brakes, and Borrani wire wheels. Lamborghini’s magnificent four-cam V-12 engine was carefully tuned to produce a healthy 270 bhp, with power transmitted through a German ZF five-speed gearbox and English Salisbury differential. The 350 GT was met with great acclaim during its official debut at the Geneva Auto Show in March 1964. The first customer car was delivered that July. The 350 GT found success as a refined grand tourer, capable of 0–60 mph in under 7 seconds, with a top speed over 150 mph. Between 1964 and 1966, Lamborghini built approximately 130 examples of the 350 GT, before the model was replaced by the updated 400 GT. The Lamborghini offered here, chassis 0253, was among a limited number of 350 GTs originally delivered to the US through official importer Jake Kaplan’s Lamborghini East of Providence, Rhode Island. According to factory records, this car was delivered in August 1965, equipped with engine no. 0220. Its Touring coachwork, carrying body no. 180010, was finished in Grigio Medio with Tabacco upholstery, a color combination perfectly suited to the exclusive Italian GT. The first known owner of the 350 GT was Jack Kellam of Dallas. Active in the Lamborghini Registry and Club, Mr. Kellam was an avid enthusiast who also owned a Miura P400. During his ownership, 0253 was featured prominently in Road & Track magazine, pictured in Ken Gross’ article on the 350 GT, titled “Pugnacious Premiere.” Collector Andy Chan bought the car from Mr. Kellam in 1989 and kept it in static storage for approximately two decades while living abroad in Hong Kong. In 2012, the 350 GT was sold to a knowledgeable collector in Arizona who carried out an exacting restoration, resulting in the car’s current outstanding presentation. As presented today, 0253 is in show-quality condition, finished in its tasteful factory color scheme and retaining its original engine and Carrozzeria Touring body tag. Very rarely are these sophisticated early production 350 GTs found in such fine condition, making this seldom-seen example an ideal choice for display at selective concours d’elegance. Extremely rare, technically advanced, and uniquely stylish, the 350 GT is widely celebrated as one of the finest Italian GT cars of the 1960s. From a collector’s perspective, it represents Ferruccio Lamborghini’s first great achievement in the automotive world; decades later, it remains an excellent candidate for both shows and touring. Retaining its original engine, beautifully restored, and finished in its attractive original color combination, 0253 represents an opportunity for the discerning collector to acquire one of the finest examples of a seminal Lamborghini model. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

2015 McLaren P1

The McLaren P1 is by the carmaker’s own definition, “Designed, Engineered and Built to Be the Best Driver’s Car in the World.” McLaren is primarily known for Formula 1 success, achieving the first of eight F1 World Championships in 1974. McLaren’s leader for over 30 years was Ron Dennis, an Englishman who started in Formula 1 as a mechanic. Dennis later led McLaren’s Formula 1 team through the glory years of legendary drivers Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost and into the 21st century, spotting and nurturing current F1 champion Lewis Hamilton. In 2009, Dennis transferred his almost fanatical attention to detail from the Formula 1 team to McLaren’s new road car division. The P1 brings Formula 1 technology to the street in an enjoyable, usable, everyday package. Unlike traditional hybrids, which alternate between gas and electric power, the P1 uses its electric motor to minimize the inefficiencies in a gas motor. This motor provides what is sometimes referred to as “torque-fill” in those few milliseconds between shifting gears, or while the turbos spool up. In effect, it is a giant electric supercharger, because it drives the crankshaft directly. The P1 has a 3.8-liter twin turbo V-8 and delivers 727 hp standing alone. The displacement is similar to McLaren’s MP12, yet the block has a different casting to accommodate the electric motor. It is in fast, sweeping turns where the P1 really excels, since this is where thecolossal, Formula 1-style downforce comes into play. To cope, Pirelli designed bespoke tires with especially strong sidewalls. When the P1 senses the driver lifting off the accelerator, it moves its brake calipers close to the rotors, ready to be applied if required. Significantly, when driven fast, but nowhere near its potential, the P1 feels controllable and fun; it can be drifted, and the prominent turbo whistle and popping wastegates deliver a terrific sense of occasion. The P1 follows the weight-saving mantra of Formula 1: there are no carpets or glove box, and the carbon fiber body parts are unlacquered. Thin glass is used, with titanium fittings. The P1 is assembled from just five body panels, which both saves weight and increases structural rigidity. Unlike other hypercars, but like Formula 1 cars, the P1 is rear-wheel drive only. There is also a full electric mode with a five-mile range. Inside, the cabin feels airy due to the moonroof and the emphasis on simple, clean interface design. As the flagship of the McLaren pantheon, exterior styling is themed around the distinctive speedmark featured on the McLaren logo. The P1 name purposely evokes comparison with the paradigm-shifting, Le Mans-winning McLaren F1 road car of the 1990s. Rich as it is in design, the P1’s form is shaped by its function. The rear spoilerarticulates for optimum efficiency, sitting unobtrusively flush with the body at low speed. At speeds where it becomes useful, it rises to provide downforce, feathering itself slightly above 156 mph to reduce drag. Emulating the drag reduction system used by McLaren in Formula 1 since 2011, the driver can stall the wing using a button on the steering wheel. In another trickle-down from Formula 1, exhaust gases are used to amplify the aerodynamic effect of the diffuser. The example offered here is finished in Carbon Black, a special-order color, and was delivered new to McLaren Philadelphia. Inside, a portrait screen controls the HVAC, navigation, and infotainment systems, and the carbon racing seats have provisions for harnesses. It has covered less than 1,700 miles from new and comes with its original window sticker. Warp-speed fast, fun, and practical, the sophisticated racing technology in the P1 fades into the background, the better to aid the driving experience. With just 375 produced, the P1 is rare, and deliberately so, in order to maintain the exclusivity of ownership, making this a special opportunity to acquire a low-mileage example. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

2003 BMW Alpina V8 Roadster

Paying homage to the iconic 507 sports car, produced from 1956 to 1959, BMW unveiled the Z07 concept car in 1997. Styled by Henrik Fisker under the watchful eye of lead designer Chris Bangle, the show car elicited such an overwhelming response that BMW decided to put it into production as the Z8. Introduced in 1999 and built through fall 2002, 5,703 examples of the striking Z8 were manufactured. For 2003, BMW partnered with Bavaria-based tuner Alpina to create an even more exclusive variant as the model’s swan song. Dubbed the V8 Roadster, it was conceived as a more luxurious, grand touring version of the Z8 and would be the first Alpina model sold directly through BMW dealerships in the US. Alpina’s engineers replaced the Z8’s high-revving V-8 engine and six-speed manual transmission with a modified version of BMW’s smooth M62 V-8 mated to a ZF five-speed adaptive automatic transmission. Enlarged to 4.8 liters, and featuring new camshafts, pistons, and connecting rods, the Alpina-tuned V-8 developed 375 hp at 5,800 rpm, while 383 lbs./ft. of torque was available at 3,800 rpm, 15 more than the original M-division engine. Top speed was electronically limited to 161 mph, and 0–60 mph elapsed in an impressive 5.3 seconds. Other changes included more relaxed suspension tuning, stylish 20" Alpina “Turbine” wheels, a new three-spoke steering wheel, distinctive Alpina gauges, and a softer grade of nappa leather that adorned the interior. In February 2003, Car and Driver offered high praise to the BMW Alpina V8 Roadster for “its easygoing power delivery and automatic transmission.” This particular Alpina V8 Roadster has covered less than 5,100 miles from new and is in truly exemplary, original condition. The Titanium Silver Metallic paint remains in excellent condition, while the black leather interior displays little discernible wear. It is stated to have received an oil change and filter service 50 miles ago, and included with the sale are the window sticker and important original accessories such as the handbooks, tool kit, car cover, wind blocker, first aid kit, BMW Motorola StarTAC cell phone, and matching hardtop with stand. Given its combination of timeless, classic styling and outstanding contemporary performance, it is remarkable that just 555 examples of the BMW Alpina V8 Roadster model were built. Presented in superb condition, this example provides the discerning collector with a compelling opportunity to acquire one of the very best limited-production, modern classics. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1994 Porsche 964 Turbo S 3.6 Flachbau

Through its exceptional technical capacity and engineering excellence, Porsche has designed and developed some of the most astonishing sports cars of the modern era. The iconic and enduring 911 has continually evolved, with each celebrated iteration delighting generations of enthusiasts. In 1994, the 911, designated the 964, concluded a five-year production run. Porsche selected the last 90 Turbo production models for delivery to Porsche Exclusive, its special-order division, where they were transformed by hand into the most desirable models of this series. Available with either traditional bodywork or the flachbau (slantnose) option, each car was built to order; 10 were designated for the Japanese market and given the moniker “X83.” Buyers who selected the Flachbau Turbo S model, itself a $60,179 option on top of the $99,000 base price, were assured further exclusivity on an already rare car. During the Porsche Exclusive transformation, the X83 Flachbau was hand-assembled with the slantnose front end, pop-up headlamps, 930 Turbo S front bumper and air dam, 930 S-style rear-quarter vents, and boxed rocker panels. All 10 of the X83 models were assembled as left-hand-drive models and finished in Polar Silver Metallic. According to factory assembly records, this Porsche was completed in December 1993, the fifth X83 Flachbau built and the first delivered to Japan, having been special-ordered by MIZWA, the official and exclusive Porsche distributor in Japan. The factory report notes 32 individual options, making it a unique “Special Wish/Special Request” vehicle, with special items including Yokohama tires; Carrera RS Cup 18" polished modular wheels; special thinshell, black leather Carrera RS bucket seats; a green-tinted front windscreen; and an electric sunroof. After delivery, the Flachbau remained in Japan through early 2017, where it had been kept by four dedicated owners. There, it was regularly serviced and meticulously maintained to the highest standards by qualified specialists. The consignor imported the Flachbau into the US under NHTSA’s Show or Display exemption in March 2017. The car now shows just over 35,000 km, and is accompanied by a copy of its factory build sheet, original books, accessories, and tools. Fast, visually riveting, and exceptionally well presented, this Japanese-market 964 Turbo S 3.6 Flachbau is one of the finest and rarest performance Porsches ever developed for public enjoyment. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

1962 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL

This overwhelmingly original 190 SL boasts a fascinating, documented history and 55-year ownership by one of the most highly respected US economists of the past century. Unrestored, and having been carefully enjoyed and dutifully maintained, its engine matches the factory build record, and the consignor believes that the car retains the vast majority of its original paint and interior materials. J. Dewey Daane, who was appointed to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors by President John F. Kennedy, purchased this Mercedes-Benz when new and kept it until his passing in 2017. Mr. Daane took delivery of the car in France, shipped it home, and accumulated less than 46,000 km in total. Since being acquired by the consignor, this 190 SL, which is finished in the attractive color of Hellblau (Light Blue, DB 334), has been serviced and inspected by marque experts who have delighted in its high level of originality and preservation. The rarity of such an original car cannot be overstated, and documents attest to the care afforded this 190 SL since new. It is accompanied by the factory maintenance log, decades of service records, original manuals and factory literature, original tool roll, a replacement soft top in its factory box, and even its original tires. This very special Mercedes-Benz offers an opportunity for continued preservation and enthusiastic presentation befitting a car of such commendable originality. Read more

  • USAUSA
  • 1d 17h

Blog posts about "Gooding & Company"

Da Vinci's Salvator Mundi revealed to be bought by Arabian prince will go to Louvre Abu Dhabi
It has been revealed that the buyer of Leonardo Da Vinci's Salvator Mundi was an Arab prince. The purchase made history as the most expensive work of art sold at auction, and was also the last Da Vinci on the open market...
Nudes: Michelangelo, Peter Paul Rubens and Trump?
The nude is one of art history's most important subjects. Both sensual and controversial, sacred and sacrilegious it has adorned cave walls, museums and white walls for centuries.
World Art Day: #followfriday
Imagine if Andy Warhol, or Da Vinci had had an Instagram account, maybe the Mona Lisa would be taking a selfie. Barnebys has collected 10 of our favorite accounts to follow right now.

Realised prices "Gooding & Company "

Gooding & Company has 149 objects in the categories.

Find address and telephone number to Gooding & Company

Gooding & Co.
Gooding & Co.
1517 20th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404