The Canterbury Auction Galleries
Established in 1911, The Canterbury Auction Galleries are Kent’s leading independent Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers. The Canterbury Auction Galleries hold a Two Day Fine Art and Antiques auction every other month, each sale typically comprising over 1200 lots across a broad variety of disciplines from jewellery to furniture.
The Canterbury Auction Galleries are members of Association of Accredited Auctioneers - AAA combines 20 UK auction houses, with a combined annual turnover of over £200m. Each member auction house has built a reputation for quality and integrity, many over a period of hundreds of years. AAA members are committed to the highest standards of creditability and services to buyers and sellers.
Objects "The Canterbury Auction Galleries"
Edward Hasted - "The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent", volumes 1-4, printed for the author by Simmons and Kirkby, Canterbury, 1778-1799, (four volumes rebound in tooled leather)Read more
- Low estimate
- Show bid1 000 GBP
A Roman miniature lead two-handled amphora, 2.5ins high, a Roman bronze and enamel seal box, 1ins x .75ins x .25ins with ring for suspension (2nd/3rd Century AD) and a Viking silver hair ring, 1.25ins diameter ( 9th/10th Century AD) Provenance: Roman lead amphora - Ancient World, York Note: The seal box was apparently found in Yorkshire and the Viking hair ring in GrimsbyRead more
- Low estimate
- Show bid100 GBP
A 19th Century 577/450 Martini action rifle by Egbert Hughes & Sons, Serial No. 3092, the 29ins hexagonal barrel fitted with multiple leaf sights, Martini action stamped with makers name London & Birmingham engraved with big game hunting scenes, hardwood stock and fore end, 46ins Note: Obsolete calibre weaponRead more
***Derek Hicks - Acrylic painting - "Air Commander Alan Deere shooting down a Messerchmitt", board 17.5ins x 31.5ins, signed, in blue painted frame, with a framed obituary and newspaper cuttings relating to Alan DeereRead more
A 19th Century 500/450 falling block rifle by I. Hollis & Sons, the 29ins barrel engraved I. Hollis & Sons rifle for No.2 case, flat top rib calibrated for distance with multiple leaf sights, falling block action decorated with scrollwork, hardwood stock and fore end with chequered grips, 47ins overall Note: Obsolete calibre weaponRead more
- Low estimate
- Show bid100 GBP
Late 19th Century Continental school - Miniature half-length portrait of a young woman in 18th Century dress, her hair dressed with pearls, oval 3.5ins x 2.5ins, indistinctly signed, in gilt brass and glazed frame and contained in ivory and tortoiseshell octagonal caseRead more
Early 19th Century Norwich school - Oil painting - Wooded rural landscape with figure in woods to foreground and cottage to background, mahogany panel 12ins x 16ins (panel split and marked to top left corner), unsigned, in modern gilt moulded frameRead more
Late 19th Century Russian silver Charka (vodka cup), with bell-shaped body and plain moulded rim, sides engraved with a banding conjoined square panels infilled with flowerhead ornament, 2ins diameter x 2ins high, Moscow hallmark and with makers initials "A*B" (weight 1.25ozs), and a modern Russian silver Charka (vodka cup), the bell shaped body engraved and with niello work, 1.75ins diameter x 2.125ins high (weight 1.6ozs - small mark indistinct)Read more
Blog posts about "The Canterbury Auction Galleries"
- Grayson Perry on taste and the class wars
- This autumn The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge in Canterbury will display Grayson Perry's The Vanity of Small Differences, a series of six large, exuberant tapestries that explore the British fascination with taste and class.
- Inspiration: 1960s Mix & Match
- This autumn, interiors will be warmed up with colours of the 1960s.
- Inspiration: Live-in Library
- Books are having a renaissance.
- Cool to be Kitsch
- Following the roaring success of Sotheby's Bear Witness sale, here are some of our favourite kitsch collectibles.
Realised prices "The Canterbury Auction Galleries "
- An early Victorian mahogany chiffonier
- An early Victorian mahogany chiffonier, the upper part with carved and scrolled cresting, fitted single shelf, the base with twin cushion moulded frieze drawers covered under, enclosed by a pair of arched panelled doors, on plinth base, 48ins wide x 16ins deep x 66ins high The Canterbury Auction Galleries
- Two wine glasses with small cylindrical bowls and plain stems...
- Two wine glasses with small cylindrical bowls and plain stems inset with double white opaque twist, plain footrim with open pontil, 6ins high (circa 1760) The Canterbury Auction Galleries
- A early 19th Century French porcelain cased mantel clock by Henri Marc of Paris
- A early 19th Century French porcelain cased mantel clock by Henri Marc of Paris, No. 15571, the 2.75ins diameter white enamelled dial with Roman numerals to the eight day two train movement with silk suspension striking on a bell, contained in porcelain case in the manner of Jacob Petit, the whole of rococo outline moulded with leaf scroll, floral ornament and insects, and with floral encrusted and rococo scroll base, 16.75ins high (case with some small damage, chipping to flowers and insects and gilding rubbed at highlights) The Canterbury Auction Galleries
- John Henry Mole (1814-1886) - Two watercolours - "The Village Spring"
- John Henry Mole (1814-1886) - Two watercolours - "The Village Spring", 10ins x 7.5ins, signed and dated 1847, and landscape with a lady and a donkey on a track, 5.5ins x 8.75ins, signed and dated 1868, both framed and glazed The Canterbury Auction Galleries
- A modern platinum mounted synthetic sapphire and diamond dress ring
- A modern platinum mounted synthetic sapphire and diamond dress ring, set with a central oval synthetic sapphire approximately 8cts surrounded by twelve brilliant cut diamonds each approximately .15ct (gross weight 9.8 grammes - ring size K 1/2) The Canterbury Auction Galleries
- The Canterbury Auction Galleries has 1 226 objects in the categories.
- Ancient Art
- Arts & Graphics
- Books, Maps & Manuscripts
- Carpets, Rugs & Textile
- Coins & Banknotes
- Fashion & Vintage
- Furniture, Design & Mirrors
- Jewellery & Gems
- Medals, Arms & Armour
- Nautica, Technica & Optic
- Oriental ceramics & Works of art
- Porcelain & Pottery
- Silver & Gold
- Tin & Metals
- Toys & Collectables
- Watches & Clocks
Find address and telephone number to The Canterbury Auction Galleries