A WWII era technical model of a Horten Glider from the Oerlinghausen airfield. Mounted as a trophy awarded to the winner of a gliding competition staged at the airfield Christmas 1946. The competition was won by Flying Officer William MacGuffie, who was given a handmade card from the German staff, along with the model. The model represents the high performance Horten H IV "all wing" glider. The Horten H IV glider was built for comparative testing of "flying wing" designs against conventional gliders by the Horten brothers in 1941 to 1943. The glider was used after the war by the RAF until 1950, and now is displayed at the flugwerft schleißheim near Munich. Literature on the Horten H IV glider: Nurflügel Die Geschichte der Horten-Flugzeuge 1933-1960, by Reimar Horten, 1987. pages 94 - 116.