This is an excellent example of a documented of the WWI era Colt Government Model 45 ACP semi-automatic pistol that was manufactured in 1916 and shipped to the Commanding Officer 3rd Ambulance Company of the New York National Guard. A Colt factory letter documents this very desirable pistol as being 1 of 5 shipped to the Commanding Officer of the 3rd Ambulance Company. Additionally, it is accompanied by further research which states that pursuant to President's order of June 1916, the New York Division actually was mobilized 19 June 1916, with approximately 14,045 officers and men. It also lists the 3rd Ambulance Company as having 5 officers and 79 enlisted men. Obviously these five Colt 1911s from the Colt factory letter were a direct commercial purchase for those five officers. Additionally, it is accompanied by a research document noting that the New York Division was called into federal service and was being organized and sent to the Mexican border as there was an immanent danger of being invaded by Mexico, (unlike today where we are all friends). That letter further states that by the presence of this NY National Guard Unit being on station at the border saved the country from being invaded by Mexico. Obviously at the time the only way those officers could secure a highly desirable Colt 1911 pistol was by direct purchase as all the military shipments were probably going to the active army in anticipation WWI. This pistol has the highly desirable Colt pre-war high polish blue finish and checkered walnut grips. The left side of the slide is roll marked with a two-line, two-block Colt address and patent dates with the Rampant Colt logo behind the slide serrations. The right side marked with: "COLT AUTOMATIC/CALIBRE 45". The right side of the frame is marked "GOVERNMENT MODEL" over serial number "C43889". The upper left side of the trigger guard bow is stamped with Colt's "V/P" verified proof with the lower stamped with a sub-inspector proof of a "U". It has early style Colt parts that include the checkered slide stop release and 1914 pattern thumb safety, the wide spur hammer with the border-less checkering, short horn grip safety and flat mainspring housing. It has its original Colt blued barrel with the polished chamber area. The barrel is marked with only a single letter "L" on the underside, and it is fitted with a set of fully checkered walnut grips. It is also complete with its original blued, half-tone Colt magazine with the lanyard loop on the underside of the base plate. This wonderful pistol is accompanied by a very late production, 1917 dated, original M1912 swivel holster manufactured by the Rock Island Arsenal, a 1918 dated double magazine pouch and web belt. The back side of the holster is stamped "ROCK ISLAND/ARSENAL/1917", and the inspector initials "HHH" are on the lower edge of the leather.