Georges Eberhard, following in his father's watch craftsman footsteps, founded Eberhard & Co.

In 1894, the house created a pocket watch with an innovative time-setting system that they patented in order to protect their technology. By 1907 the watchmakers was one of the largest in Switzerland. Their headquarters became a prominent feature of the rue Leopold Robert, La Chaux-de-Fonds' hub for watchmakers. The Beaux Arts style building with a eagle sculpture that towers above the rue remains one of La Chaux-de-Fonds' most recognisable landmarks.

Rare Eberhart 120th Anniversary chronograph wrist watch Rare Eberhart 120th Anniversary chronograph wrist watch

In 1919, Eberhard & Co. launched their first wrist chronograph - a watch combined with a stopwatch. Two years later, the company patented the Calotte Patrouille, a design which protected mechanisms from being destructed by dust and damp.

Production was halted during both World Wars. However, in 1947, Eberhard & Co. was back with style as they created their first woman's watch.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.34.24

The brand has now become synonymous with large watches, known as the Grande Taille (Super Size) collection. In 2007, Eberhard & Co. celebrated 120 years of production with the Chronographe 120ème anniversaire timepiece.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.34.37

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.34.54

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.34.45

The piece featured will be on sale at James Auctioneers until 26th February, 2017. Check out the full catalogue here.

Comment