Tiffany Studios Aquamarine Vase Introduced around 1911-12, Aquamarine glass was the last major technique publicized by the firm. Compositions of aquatic plants and other marine life were fashioned out of small colored glass canes that the glassblower pulled into their required forms with a metal hook not unlike a crochet needle. At various stages in the process, the composition was encased in layers of clear or tinted glass gathered on a blowpipe from a crystal pot. The result provided the viewer with the impression of looking into a fishbowl or pond, better examples providing a sense of motion within the water. The effect is illusionary as the decoration is far smaller than it appears, the thick outer mass of glass acting as a magnifying lens. In addition to flora, aquamarine glassware includes fish, algae, sea anemones, jelly fish and molluscs, in many instances presented within a complete ecological environment. Inscribed: L.C. Tiffany-Favrile 5249G. Height: 10 1/2 inches (26.5 cm). Provenance: Benedict Silverman. The Garden Museum Collection, Matsue, Japan.This vase is pictured on p. 264 of "Louis C. Tiffany, The Garden Museum Collection."